Dennis's Reviews > A Scarecrow's Bible

A Scarecrow's Bible by Martin Hyatt

Mar 09, 08

Recommended for: anybody
Read in October, 2007

A very fine first novel, whose two star-crossed main characters hang around and haunt, long after Hyatt's whip smart story arc has shot through the reader's heart.

"A Scarecrow's Bible" is the only novel I've read to date which is rendered via 2nd-Person Narration throughout (with flashback italics peppered here and there--for tracking the history, POV and motivation of the 2nd main character); the mere fact that Martin Hyatt is able to hold his story together through the utilization of these risky fictional techniques is a cause for a kind of wonder, and celebration.

What makes this book stand out for me is the honesty, together with a unique combination of verisimilitude and hyper-conscious imagery--an accretion greater than the sum of its parts, taking on a "life of its own"-- much like the literal and forlorn scarecrow which makes not a few vivid cameo appearances in the story, as Hyatt draws the reader expertly into his lush fictional world.

"A Scarecrow's Bible" is what you get when crossing "Brokeback Mountain" with "Leaving Las Vegas." It is definitely the finest novel about addiction and alienation I've read in quite some time. I'm looking forward to Hyatt's next work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scarecrow's Bible.