Lou's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Sep 27, 12

bookshelves: to-be-movies-or-tv, arc, science-fiction, dystopia, fantasy
Read from June 26 to July 01, 2011

Three hidden keys open three secret gates Wherein the errant will be tested for Worthy traits
And those with the skill to survive these traits
Will reach The End where the prize awaits.

James Halliday a video-game designer created The Oasis. It made him one of the wealthiest people in the world. He had no successors to hand down the corporation he built. When he died he left a message to the world, one that called for the finder of 'The Egg' in a video game to gain ownership of OASIS.
I am thinking of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and Willie Wonka at this point. The worlds best chocolate and sweet maker Willie Wonka, we all know the movie and story.
Willie and Halliday are similar in the way that they both wanted someone to succeed their business, Wonka with his Golden Ticket and Halliday with The Egg. That's were the similarity ends Halliday's game is more sinister and the protagonist Wade is a video gamer and computer geek shall we say.

Ready Player One is a about a virtual world and game called OASIS that serves up an escapism from the drag and the mundane of life for a main protagonist Wade. A world in cyberspace where you can create a new you and new identity with an Avatar you can be anyone. Think movies like Matrix, Avatar and recently TV-series Caprica and sit-back and immerse yourself into the 80's and movies like Tron and Wargames and you will get the jist of what sort of story you have before you.
Wade's father was an avid comic fan of the Marvel superhero world who has been dead for most of his life, his mother works or OASIS as a telemarketer and as an escort on a online brothel. He lived with his mum in a small RV.
The OASIS has an interactive educational program something that could be valuable for us in the future. Wade attends schooling through this in real classes which he needs to obtain grades. While back in the 80's I used to watch The Muppets and Sesame Street, Wade hangs out in a virtual-reality simulation of Sesame Street and sings songs with friendly Muppets.

OASIS is a vast world of information a library of books, movies, television shows, video games and artwork. It fills the gap for some, as life now is a lot tougher in the gamers world than it used to be and seems to be getting worser.
The avatar Wade used was called Parzival. OASIS provided an escape for victims of bullying and people like Wade fat and have acne could create their own looks and be free from bullying or name calling. The method of teaching used could be a useful tool to many, those who cannot attend real classes for many reasons including most importantly health problems or disabilities. In his biology class he travelled through a human heart and watched it pumping from the inside, if you remember that movie 'Innerspace' it was very educational. In astronomy he was there virtually visiting Jupiter's moons and many other planets.
Accessing OASIS is free, but teleportation and many other luxuries are costly.
The OASIS (Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation) changed the way people around the world lived, worked and communicated. I wonder what the future holds for us here in 2011 Apple is already trying to break into every home.

Back to the game and the Egg and the winning of it. The I.O.I Innovative Online Industries a gaming company are using The Sixers for mischief, their sole purpose is to exploit loopholes in the contest rules. The very soul of OASIS is at stake with The Sixers who want to try to overtake and control OASIS. They wanted to recruit Parzival (Wade), they want this whizz kid and game master to tell them how to find The Copper Key and clear the first gate of the game. The Sixers are very serious and dangerous and will stop at nothing in order to gain their objectives, they will destroy the real world around you as well as the virtual world!
Parzival must win, in a world of exploits, backdoors and passwords. Words so common in 2011 in hacking and cracking software.
The game has many players, who are all called Gunters the four main players are Parzival himself, Artemis a girl he likes, Aech and Shoto. They find themselves pitted against The Sixers to stop them from finding the egg and winning the contest which would give them power and control and OASIS would fall under the hands of I.O.I imperialistic rule.
All gamers and computer geeks and 80's wannabes and those that have been there and got the t-shirt must read this book. This was refreshing and a entertaining read.

The most epic battle in video game history is about to unfold in the pages of Ready Player One!

"Halliday's easter egg eventually moved into the realm of urban legend,

And the ever-dwindling tribe of Gunters gradually became the object of ridicule. Each year on the anniversary of Halliday's death, newscasters joking reported on their continued lack of progress. And each year, more gunners called it quits, concluding that Halliday had indeed made the egg impossible to find.
And another year went by.
And another.
Then, on the evening of February 11th, 2045, an Avatar's name appeared at the top of the scoreboard, for the whole world to see. After five long years, The Copper Key had finally been found, by an eighteen-year old kid living in a trailer park on the outskirts of Oklahoma city.
That kid was me.
Dozens of books, cartoons, movies and miniseries have attempted to tell the story of everything that had happened next, but every single one of them got it wrong. So I want to set the record straight, once and for all."

Photobucket

What the Web is Saying

Sourced from http://bordersblog.com/scifi/author/dani...
Author Wilson take on Ready Player One

Time to sing the praises of the 80s. And there are many.

by danielhwilson on Jun.17, 2011, under Daniel H. Wilson and Ernest Cline

And now the time has come for my last post to Babel Clash. Thanks to Borders for having me, and to the readers for, well, reading. Ernest Cline has been a great partner in crime during my time here, and in his last post he earned my affection for life by dropping some pretty convincing reasons why he loved Robopocalypse.

But let’s be clear, I loved his book before he loved mine.

I got READY PLAYER ONE in the mail as a word document printout a fair while ago. These types of books come pretty regular — folks looking for blurbs. I’m honored to be asked to blurb, but usually don’t. I stick to an old rule: if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

When I put down RPO, I started yammering away to everybody I knew.

The book nails the 80s in a personal, fist-pumping, covering-your-face-and-laughing kind of way.

Yeah, I grew up during the 80s. Playing Nintendo and eating Big League Chew and bestowing relatively giant Voltron swords to my most prized GI Joes. We had coffee tables that hung from the ceiling, burnt orange carpets, and quad rollerskates that had yet to be replaced by their fancy inline cousins. Wood paneling ruled supreme as the wall covering of choice.

Cline effortlessly nails these sorts of details, which provide a completely consistent and convincing background to an action-packed adventure that takes place hundreds of years from now. That’s right. People in the future are obsessed with the 1980s.

How in the heck do you use the 80s as the background to a story set in the future? Trust me, Cline pulls it off.

Without ruining anything, RPO tells a treasure hunting story that hinges on knowledge of the 1980s. The protagonist is endearing and the stakes are shockingly lethal. And the world. Oh, the world. It keeps opening up bigger and bigger, in surprising ways and populated by a surprising array of 80s fiction-turned-real. Yeah, there are giant robots really piloted by kids. And yeah, it makes perfect sense once you’re there.

Think of it like this: READY PLAYER ONE is a vintage cherry arcade game lurking in the back corner of a dusty room. You’ve never played it before, but an array of the most amazing badass imagery is flickering across the screen. Step up to it. Don’t be shy. Wipe your hands on your jeans and plug a quarter in there. Trust me, you won’t look back.

Amazon.com Review

Questions for Ernest Cline, Author of Ready Player One

Q) So it seems you’re a bit of a pop-culture buff. In your debut novel Ready Player One you incorporate literally hundreds of pop culture references, many of them in ways that are integral to the book’s plot. What’s the first thing you remember geeking out over?

A) Sesame Street and the Muppets. I thought Jim Henson ruled the universe. I even thought it was pretty cool that I shared my first name with a muppet. Until the first day of kindergarten, when I quickly learned that "Ernie" was not a cool name to have. That was about the time I segued into my next childhood obsession, Star Wars.

Q) Like the book’s hero, you possess a horrifyingly deep knowledge of a terrifyingly broad swathe of culture, ranging from John Hughes movies to super-obscure Japanese animation to 8-bit videogames to science-fiction and fantasy literature to role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons. What the heck is wrong with you?! How do you have so much time on your hands?

A) Well, I’m raising a toddler now, so I don’t have as much time to geek out as I used to. I think I amassed a lot of that knowledge during my youth. Like most geeks, I was a sponge for all kinds of movies, TV shows, cartoons, and video games. Then as an adult, I worked at a long series of low paying tech support jobs that allowed me to surf the Internet all day, and I spent a lot of my cubicle time looking up obscure pop culture minutiae from my childhood while I waited for people to reboot their PCs. Of course, I spent most of my off hours geeking out, too. Luckily, all those hours can now be classified as "research" for my novel.

Q) You’re stranded on an island and you can only take one movie with you. What is it?

A) Easy!The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition. (Can I take all of the DVD Extras and Making of Documentaries, too?)

Q) You’re given free tickets and back stage passes to one concert (artist can be living or dead)- who is it and why?

A) Are we talking about time travel back to a specific concert in the past here? Because it would be pretty cool to stand on the roof of Apple Records and watch the Beatles jam up there. But my favorite rock band that’s still together is RUSH, and I just bought tickets to see them this June!

Q) Favorite book of all time.

A) That’s an impossible question! I could maybe give you three favorites:Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut, and The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

Q) Best failed TV show pilot available on Youtube?

A) The unaired Batgirl pilot starring Yvonne Craig.

Q) Favorite episode of Cowboy Bebop?

A) “Ganymede Elegy.” Or maybe “Boogie Woogie Feng Shui.”

Q) What’s the first arcade game you ever played? What’s your favorite?

A) I was deflowered by Space Invaders. My all time favorite coin-op game was probably Black Tiger.

Q) Your idea of the perfect day...

A) Play Black Tiger. Then go see Big Trouble in Little China at the Alamo Drafthouse with Kurt Russell and John Carpenter doing a live Q&A afterwards. When I get home that night, I accidentally invent a cheap abundant clean energy source that saves human civilization. I celebrate by staying up late to watch old Ultraman episodes with my daughter (who loves Ultraman even more than I do).

Q) True or False. We hear you own a DeLorean and that you plan on tricking it out to be a time-travelling, Ghostbusting, Knight-Rider car.

A) False. I actually plan on tricking it out to be a time-traveling Ghostbusting Knight Riding Jet Car. It’s going to have both a Flux Capacitor and an Oscillation Overthruster in it, so that my Delorean can travel through time AND solid matter. My personalized plates are ECTO88, just like a DeLorean that appears in my book.(I’m so glad that you asked this question, because now I can justify buying the car as a "promotional tool" for my book. Everyone reading this is a witness! My DeLorean is helping me promote my book! The fact that I’ve wanted one since I was ten years old is totally irrelevant!)

Q) Speaking of DeLoreans: biggest plot hole in the Back to The Future Films?

A) The Back to The Future Trilogy is perfect and contains no plot holes! Except for the plot hole inherent in nearly all time travel films: The planet Earth is moving through space at an immense speed at all times. So if you travel back in time, you are traveling to a time when the Earth was in a different location, and you and your time machine would appear somewhere out in deep space. For a time machine to be useful, it also needs to be able to teleport you to wherever the Earth was/is at your destination time.

Q) But there are two DeLoreans in 1885--why doesn’t Doc dig out the one he buried in a cave for Marty to find in 1955 and use the gasoline from it to get the other DeLorean up to 88mph?

A) Doc would have drained the gas tank before he stored a car for 80 years, so there wouldn’t have been any gas. And tampering with the DeLorean in the cave at all could conceivably create a universe-ending paradox, because it has to be in the cave for Marty to get back to 1885 in the first place. Totally not a plot hole!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

06/26/2011 page 60
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Any thoughts so far?!

Catie I think that I need to read this.

Pagetranquillity Thanks for the great review.

message 4: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Thanks

Tressa Just picked this up today. Looks good!

♥ Marlene♥ Never heard about this book but all of a sudden 2 people were talking about this book. One on twitter and now i see your post. Looks interesting.

Adrianna It's a great book and I really enjoyed it...

Tressa I finished RPO and it's a wonderful book; couldn't put it down.

message 9: by Tim (new) - added it

Tim Asbury I do want to read this one.

message 10: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Tressa wrote: "I finished RPO and it's a wonderful book; couldn't put it down."

I am happy you enjoyed it. I find some books are an entertaining read right through and maybe not so great endings but by then you feel that it does not bother so much how it ends as the majority of the time it got you hooked. Am I right?

Kenya Wright I do loved this book!!!!

message 12: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Kenya wrote: "I do loved this book!!!!"
It was fun!

message 13: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy I'll add my accolades - I ordered it from Amazon Vine because there wasn't anything else that looked remotely interesting in that newsletter, but I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.

message 14: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Katy wrote: "I'll add my accolades - I ordered it from Amazon Vine because there wasn't anything else that looked remotely interesting in that newsletter, but I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy..."

Be interesting to see what he writes next.

Rachel This book is ridiculously fun! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and what a fast read it was, partly because I could not put it down.