Lea's Reviews > The Pirates! In an Adventure with Napoleon

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Napoleon by Gideon Defoe

Jun 23, 11

bookshelves: acquired-2011, love-the-cover, read-2011, reviews
Read from June 06 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Another brilliant addition to Defoe's Pirates! series. There's such a temptation to start quoting some of the hysterical lines in this book, but there are just too many, and a lot of them aren't as funny out of context. Which is a shame, because I really want to share the joy that is this book!

The fun starts in the dedication -- not sure what that's all about, but it made me laugh.

You'd be missing a lot of the humour if you skipped the stuff like the Contents, Chapter Headings, or the Index -- it's all a bit wonky, just like the Pirate Captain and his crew. You don't want to miss stuff like "Module 15: Asteroids, the vermin of the sky" , "GIRLS, remain resolutely unimpressed by pirate books, 1-944", or "SWIMMING, pirates are too embarrassed to take their shirts off, 766".

If you've never read the Pirates! books, they all revolve around the escapades of the overly confident (and incompetent) Pirate Captain, his endearingly childlike crew, and various historical figures. This book, obviously, features Napoleon, who is as self-promoting and arrogant as you might expect.

After being tricked into buying St. Helena by his nemesis, Black Bellamy, the Pirate Captain butts heads with Napoleon, each vying to become president of the St. Helena's Residents' Association.

If that sounds somewhat kooky, you're getting the point of the entire thing!

The cover of my copy -- the paperback edition -- is very nice as well, featuring Napoleon, bees, and even the Pirate Captain himself.

Highly recommend!

5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pirates! In an Adventure with Napoleon.

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Nice job, Lea ... you've made me want to read it!

message 2: by Lea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea I hope you do -- I think you'd really enjoy it!

Tisa Just started this third one in the series, reading to my grandsons who LOVE these adventures. I have to skip over a few adult words but otherwise they get it.