Katy's Reviews > The Gone-Away World

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

Nov 28, 12

bookshelves: vine-book
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Recommended for: fans of stories with a strange/humorous bent
Read from September 13 to 15, 2008, read count: 1

Disclosure: I received this book through the Amazon Vine program in exchange for an honest review. I read and reviewed this book in September of 2008.

My synopsis: The narrator of The Gone-Away World - whose name we are never told - takes us on a wildly entertaining trip through his life and how it intersects with the rest of the world when a new weapon has unspeakable consequences. Often laugh-out-loud hilarious we are taken on a tour of his past until, a bit over half-way through the book, a strange twist takes place and the story becomes a good bit darker. I can't even give a hint about this twist or I'll ruin it for you, so I won't go any further into that. There is also a sub-plot having to do with ninjas and mimes that I never even saw coming.

My Thoughts: I have noted this as a work of military science fiction, since a good bit of the story takes place while the narrator is in the military. This should not turn off people who aren't necessarily fans of military science fiction - this is an astonishly good book and I can recommend it to anyone who enjoys off-beat humour (a la Good Omens) and a good story. Don't miss this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gone-Away World.