Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > My Life as a White Trash Zombie

My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland

Angel Crawford is 21 years old, addicted to pills and in an on-again off-again relationship with another addict, Randy. After the death of her insane and abusive mother, she was left to live with her alcoholic and no less abusive father. She’s a high school dropout, can’t keep any job for more than a few weeks and she’s even on probation for buying a stolen car.

At the beginning of My Life as a White Trash Zombie, Angel wakes up in the hospital with no recollection of the events that occurred the night before. She supposedly overdosed, but she doesn’t remember taking that many pills at all. While still in the hospital, she gets an anonymous letter saying that she has to start driving a van for the coroner’s office or she will be reported to her probation officer. It doesn’t take her long to realize that she’s developed an appetite for brains which helps her figure out exactly how much has changed in the night of her ‘overdose’.

This was not as good as I hoped it would be, not even close. And the worst part is that I love Diana Rowland so much, I love her other series (Kara Gillian), and I absolutely adore her critique partner, Nicole Peeler. With all that love in the air, I have to wonder, what went wrong?!?
I was in such a hurry to read this book that I bought the Kindle edition while I was waiting for my paperback to arrive. Really, 10 days is such a long time! I could have saved myself the trouble, though, buying it once was more than enough. I’m not saying it’s a bad book, I can’t even find anything seriously wrong with it, I just didn’t care about Angel or her story that much.
My other problem is that it wasn’t funny at all. Rowland probably spoiled me with her Kara Gillian series which, despite being a police procedural, has its moments of hilarity. Things that were probably meant to be cute and/or funny in My Life as a White Trash Zombie were mostly just over the top and annoying.

I’m asking you to take my review with a grain of salt. I haven’t been in the right mood for urban fantasy lately and that might have something to do with my opinion of this book. Diana Rowland is still one of my favorite urban fantasy authors and I fully intend to read everything she writes in the future.
21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life as a White Trash Zombie.

07/11/2011
11.0% "Oh, no, Angel! DO NOT lick your fingers! Gross. :D"
07/11/2011
22.0% ""It was the segments of brain that held my attention. Most of the brain had been sliced into neat half-inch slices during autopsy. It looked like pieces of bread pudding that had been soaked in raspberry syrup." :D" 1 comment
07/15/2011
49.0% "Ok, I'm on a roll here. I'll finish this tonight. I can't stand seeing it on my 'currently reading' shelf any longer."

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead When do you plan on reading this? I have it on my Kindle waiting to be read!

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews) This was such a good book!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I never even saw these comments! Stupid GR! I'll be starting as soon as possible, Michelle. I have a readalong in progress, but it's a short book. I can't wait to read this! I just love Rowland.

Kristin, good to know. I'm really looking forward to it.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "I never even saw these comments! Stupid GR! I'll be starting as soon as possible, Michelle. I have a readalong in progress, but it's a short book. I can't wait to read this! I just love Rowland.

..."

Well maybe I'll read it at the same time as you (if you want). The time difference makes it hard to do a group read but at least we can read it sort of at the same time. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, sure, I'm in! We can even start tomorrow, as far as I'm concerned. Or whenever you'd like. It's not very long anyway. Oh, how I love that cover!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Oh, sure, I'm in! We can even start tomorrow, as far as I'm concerned. Or whenever you'd like. It's not very long anyway. Oh, how I love that cover!"

Tomorrow sounds perfect!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Oh, how I love that cover!"

I find the cover beautiful in my own sick and twisted way!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead If you are reading it now, (duh, I totally didn't even notice you went from "to-read" to "currently reading". I can start today. I just finished up my other book!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yes, yes! Start! I'll combine the two and it will be great. I hate Alex Craft anyway.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Yes, yes! Start! I'll combine the two and it will be great. I hate Alex Craft anyway."

oh good (not the "I hate Alex Craft" part)! I just need to act like the good responsible homeowner and clean up first but I'll be starting this afternoon (if I'm not too lazy and mow the lawn, wash clothes in the broken washing machine, and wash the dishes). I'm excited, yeah!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Excellent, that should give me the time I need to prepare. :)
I just know it'll be a good one.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Excellent, that should give me the time I need to prepare. :)
I just know it'll be a good one."

I'm not typing, you don't see my words because I'm actually outside mowing the lawn! hehe

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Pff, can't you get someone else to do it?!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Pff, can't you get someone else to do it?!"

Hubby is in Texas, it's normally his "job". Usually, I can find some teenagers in the neighborhood wanting to make a few extra $$$ but they are nowhere this weekend!

Of course, I still didn't type this since I'm really outside being productive!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Did you give up on this one? I know you weren't lovin it.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Nooo, it's not that I don't like it, I just got to the slow part and then got caught up in reading Saving Francesca with Wen. I think I'll finish tomorrow.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Nooo, it's not that I don't like it, I just got to the slow part and then got caught up in reading Saving Francesca with Wen. I think I'll finish tomorrow."

oh good.

Wendy Darling It never takes you this long to get through a zombie book.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It never takes me this long to get through ANY book, but somehow, I just can't seem to finish this. Or the Alex Craft book. I am desperate. They are both urban fantasy. What is wrong with me, fairy godmother?!? Do I need a doctor? A mage?!? DO I need to be bitch slapped?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "It never takes me this long to get through ANY book, but somehow, I just can't seem to finish this. Or the Alex Craft book. I am desperate. They are both urban fantasy. What is wrong with me, fairy..."

You probably just need a change of genre!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) That'w what's bothering me! I've changed my reading habits lately and I hoped that I'll be ready to go back soon. But I have high hopes for The Knight's Curse. :)

Shera (Book Whispers) Don't worry to much Maja. I went through a huge book funk in June. I think you just need a change of hobby for a little while.

Then pick a book you know your just going to eat up after a bit and you'll pay through. (Or at least it worked for me.)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "That'w what's bothering me! I've changed my reading habits lately and I hoped that I'll be ready to go back soon. But I have high hopes for The Knight's Curse. :)"

Oh yes, I hope it works for you. I'm going to work on my review today. I've had lots of real life stuff to deal with these past few days but I'm looking forward to working on that review!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thank you, Shera. Eye of the Tempest is being released in 10 days. I won't get bored reading that, I'm sure.

Michelle, honey, Real Life Stuff? Is that a video game?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Thank you, Shera. Eye of the Tempest is being released in 10 days. I won't get bored reading that, I'm sure.

Michelle, honey, Real Life Stuff? Is that a video game?"

I wish! I then could turn it off or start over!

Shera (Book Whispers) Oh, I really want Eye of the Tempest. I'm away from home so I can't order more books until the end of July!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Jane True fan, are you?! I like you 10 times more because of it, haha.

Some days I'm so grateful for the 'One click buy' option. Others, not so much. :D

Shera (Book Whispers) Yeah. You have to develop control over the "One click buy" options out there.

Yes, I am a huge Jane True fan. I've been waiting for book 4 to come out so I could do a huge read-a-thon and read books 2-4 at once!

message 30: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Nice review Maja. I got Tempest Rising waiting to be read on my bookshelf, it's comforting to know you liked it.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I hope you'll like it. It's one of my favorite UF series, but I know some of my friends didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did.

message 32: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Well, FORTUNATELY, we all have different tastes... it would be so boring otherwise

Bonnie After personally reading her Kara series I can also say this novel was quite different, and not in the best way. I had hoped I would like this a lot more than I did too. I might have to try that other series you mentioned by Nicole Peeler. I noticed Michelle just read one of them too..are they YA?

message 34: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Jul 17, 2011 09:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) No, they are adult urban fantasy... and knowing you, I'm almost sure you'll enjoy them. Jane is one of my favorite characters, very relaxed, goofy, not exactly a kick ass heroine. The first book had its problems, but the second and the third are just amazing! :)

Lisa, exactly! I still hope you'll enjoy the Tempest series. :)) As I said, Jane's somewhat different from your average UF heroine, but in a really good way.

Chichipio I'll stay away from this one, at least until after trying the Kara Gillian series.

Bonnie Chichipio wrote: "I'll stay away from this one, at least until after trying the Kara Gillian series."

Kara! Highly recommended. :D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Absolutely! My relationship with Rowland resembles marriage in so many ways: first I got to eat the honey and then (view spoiler)

And I'm the idiot who paid for this... twice. I guess the joke's on me. :P

Bonnie Maja wrote: "Absolutely! My relationship with Rowland resembles marriage in so many ways: first I got to eat the honey and then [spoilers removed]

And I'm the idiot who paid for this... twice. I guess the joke..."

Twice?? How?

Bonnie Bonnie wrote: "Maja wrote: "Absolutely! My relationship with Rowland resembles marriage in so many ways: first I got to eat the honey and then [spoilers removed]

And I'm the idiot who paid for this... twice. I ..."

Duh. I remember now. I've done that before too... what a miserable feeling when it's not even worth the first purchase.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You really need that coffee, Bonnie. :P

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura I almost picked this up last week, but surprisingly I have never read Rowland before. :O
Should I not start with this one? It looked fun!

Bonnie Laura wrote: "I almost picked this up last week, but surprisingly I have never read Rowland before. :O
Should I not start with this one? It looked fun!"

It wasn't bad... I'll definitely read the next one in the series... but it wasn't her best. I definitely prefer her Kara Gilliand series.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well, as I said, take my review with a grain of salt. I probably wasn't in the right mood. :)

Wendy Darling My relationship with Rowland resembles marriage in so many ways: first I got to eat the honey and then [came the crap.

o _ O

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well, I know YOU don't agree with my wiew of things, but I still get to say them, seeing as I'm divorced and stuff. :D

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Well, as I said, take my review with a grain of salt. I probably wasn't in the right mood. :)"

I gave it 3 stars and so did Bonnie. I don't think it was just your mood. I'm super moody right now. Nothing is making me happy in my quest for reading satisfaction.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hmmm, is there any genre you might be in the mood for?! Ashfall is so much fun, I can tell you that. But it happens sometimes.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Hmmm, is there any genre you might be in the mood for?! Ashfall is so much fun, I can tell you that. But it happens sometimes."

I have no clue what I'm in the mood for. I am listening to Changeless on audiobook but other than that, not a clue. Off to look at what is on my Kindle. Glad you are liking Ashfall. It reminds me of one of those disaster movies with the big budgets that people go see in the summer. It seriously made me smile at the end in anticipation for the next book.

message 49: by Paige Schneller (new)

Paige Schneller Is this the first book