Ciera's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

F_50x66
Jun 05, 11

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Ciera Liked

Veronica Roth
“I am selfish. I am brave.”

Veronica Roth
“A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.”

Veronica Roth
“And is it selfish of me to crave victory, or is it brave?”

Veronica Roth
“Why do people want to pretend that death is sleep? It isn't. It isn't.”

Veronica Roth
“You think my first instinct is to protect you. Because you're small, or a girl, or a Stiff. But you're wrong."

He leans his face close to mine and wraps his fingers around my chin. His hand smells like metal. When was the last time he held a gun, or a knife? My skin tingles at the point of contact, like he's transmitting electricity through his skin.

"My first instinct is to push you until you break, just to see how hard I have to press." he says, his fingers squeezing at the word break. My body tenses at the edge in his voice, so I am coiled as tight as a spring, and I forget to breathe.

His dark eyes lifting to mine, he adds, "But I resist it."

"Why..." I swallow hard. "Why is that your first instinct?"

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." He releases me but doesn't pull away, his hand grazing my jaw, my neck. "Sometimes I just want to see it again. Want to see you awake.”

Veronica Roth
“Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.”

Veronica Roth
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Veronica Roth
“Part of me wonders if this is a suicide mission disguised as a game.”

Veronica Roth
“I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though.”

Veronica Roth
“Then I realize what it is. It's him. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames.”

Veronica Roth
“Moths," repeats Will. "You're afraid of moths?"

"Not just a cloud of moths," she says, "like...a swarm of them. Everywhere. All those wings and legs and..." She shudders and shakes her head.

"Terrifying," Will says with mock seriousness. "That's my girl. Tough as cotton balls."

"Oh, Shut up.”

Veronica Roth
“Somewhere inside me is a merciful, forgiving person. Somewhere there is a girl who tries to understand what people are going through, who accepts that people do evil things and that desperation leads them to darker places than they ever imagined. I swear she exists, and she hurts for the repentant boy I see in front of me.

But if I saw her, I wouldn't recognize her.”

Veronica Roth
“He told me once to be brave, and though I have stood still while knives spun toward my face and jumped off a roof, I never thought I would need bravery in the small moments of my life. I do.”

Veronica Roth
“Two things you should know about me; The first is that I am deeply suspicious of people in general. It is my nature to expect the worst of them. And the second is that I am unexpectedly good with computers.”

Veronica Roth
“It must require bravery to be honest all the time.”

Veronica Roth
“There is power in controlling something that can do so much damage - in controlling something, period.”

Veronica Roth
“People tend to overestimate my character," I say quietly. "They think that because I'm small, or a girl, or a Stiff, I can't possibly be cruel. But they're wrong.”