Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > The Future of Us

Oct 29, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ya, nov11, bea11, arc, read-in-2011
Read from September 15 to 16, 2011

In the age of Facebook and smartphones, it’s almost difficult to remember a time when every American household didn’t have at least one computer. But that’s exactly the life that Emma and Josh live. 1996 was the year of Toy Story, but for these two used to be best friends, now awkward moment neighbors, 96’ is the year they discover their future selves; all thanks to AOL and the appearance of a website with profiles that very much resemble themselves and people they know.

As far as the premise goes, The Future of Us had me sold. Back that with talented authors Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler, and I was more than eager for this book. I’m happy to say that the book had all the aspects I had looked forward to, but it didn’t blow me away.

Emma can be quite whiny and annoying at times, complaining that she has to change what she believes is a horrible, unhappy future, and all based on her future self’s random postings. In 200 characters or so, Emma decides that her future sucks, but since she’s still in 1996, she can change that. And does so more than willingly.

Josh, on the other hand, is much more wary of changing the future on purpose. He’s laid-back and more level-headed than Emma. He also has that pining away for a girl who doesn’t want him thing down pat. Readers will like him and feel for him. I know I did.

The Future of Us is a fast read, with short chapters that alternate between Emma’s and Josh’s POV. At times, it tries too hard to be 90’s and it never manages to actually do that. Still, it’s fun to see Emma’s utter confusion about what Harry Potter is and why it’s one of her favorite books, as well as her future self’s excitement over a night of Netflix and Glee. If you’re looking for a quick read that will entertain you, The Future of Us is sure to do just that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.