Jan's Reviews > Smooth Talking Stranger

1931718
Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: romance, z-2011, contemporary-romance
Read on June 07, 2011

When none of the books I wanted were available in the library, I decided to try another Lisa Kleypas, even though I've been very underimpressed with her historicals, and I decided not to fall for how universally loved she is anymore. But I remember this book being mentioned favorably on Dear Author recently, and I thought I'd try a contemporary Kleypas as a last effort. Even if it was in the not really loved by me and often dreaded 1st POV.

I really liked it however. Mostly because I have a thing for hero's and heroines with a difficult past, and love romances where they learn to deal with past issues. Ella's issues are severe, and it's clear she hasn't coped with everything yet by the end of the novel, but I don't think it's possible to completely recover from things like this, because your parents and your youth shape a big part of what you become and how you live your life.

Jake bordered on being a fantasy, but I thought his jealousy of Ella's boyfriend in the beginning, and his dealings with his ex grounded him enough to make him feel like a real person. A very romance hero sweep you of your feet and take care of things man, but a man nevertheless.

I thought the baby storyline was dealt with very realistically, diapers that need to be cleaned at inappropriate times, sleepless nights, and babysitters that need to get home, even if you'd prefer to sex it up a little longer.

My heart broke when the sister came back. Mostly because of Luke, but also because she seemed the person who needed help and love and care most, and she wasn't getting any. Churches like that creep me out immensely, and much like Ella, I wanted to scream at Tara to take care of herself and take of the blinders. It was a bittersweet wrap-up that story line.

One minor thing, and I know it's silly for me, but the condom pet-peeve roared it's ugly unsheated head. For a guy whose entire argument at the start of the book leans on the fact he never has sex without them, there is a serious lack of condoms in this book. As in none. Which I probably wouldn't have noted if he hadn't made such a point about them at first. I'll never get what it is with romance novels and unprotected sex, but that's just me.

Anyway, pleasantly surprised by this book, and who knows, I might actually try out another Lisa Kleypas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smooth Talking Stranger.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Juliana Great review! I'm a huge Kleypas fan, so I'm glad you found one you liked. Her contemporaries have been mixed for me, but I did enjoy this one and Blue-Eyed Devil . There's also some difficult pasts there for both characters, so you might like that one as well.