Ian's Reviews > Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and Business of Life

Making It All Work by David Allen

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: life-coaching
Read from May 31 to July 05, 2011 — I own a copy

I'm really not one for American business gurus and life coaches but Allen's earlier book really did change everything for me. I have an eclectic job and had got used to a life of "slightly swamped". Following Allen's mantra of "getting clear" I now operate on a zero inbox, weekly reviews, contextual to dos, etc and it helps. A lot.

In this sequel Allen reinforces much of what he has said before which I've found useful for reflecting on how it has all gone so far. He extends this to consider higher levels of consideration of your life's projects, goals, aims and values. Hence we journey to 20,000 feet perspectives, 30,000 feet and so on. This seemed a little contrived at first but has started to make a lot more sense now that I have applied it to my own circumstances.

I would definitely read Getting Things done first and come back to this volume after maybe 6 months of working with Allen's methods. With that approach this makes an excellent extension and reflection piece.

A great book for those who life in demanding worlds. For those who live the simple life it will probably be overkill.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Making It All Work.