Wendy's Reviews > No Passengers Beyond This Point

No Passengers Beyond This Point by Gennifer Choldenko

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011-award-possibilities
Read in June, 2011

One to watch. I can see that this book has been divisive. You know how there's always discussion about whether the Newbery committee is looking for a "special" book? And they deny that they are, but evidence is generally against them? This could be that "special" book, the one about which everyone says "why is the Newbery always something weird?" (even though evidence is against them there).

Kind of a Going Bovine for the younger set, or what A Wrinkle in Time might have been like if it were set almost entirely in Camazotz.

I'm tempted to put in a "calling this for the Newbery now". It isn't my favorite thing I've read this year, probably at the bottom end of a four-star for personal enjoyment, but it's definitely a contender for the award itself.

Oh, and I may have met Mouse before, particularly in The Penderwicks and Family Sabbatical, but what can I say? I LIKE precocious six-year-olds with imaginary friends/dolls/dogs/etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Passengers Beyond This Point.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen TWO times recently I've read your recommendation, gone to mark the book to read, and I've ALREADY MARKED IT somehow.