Susan's Reviews > Hotel du Lac

Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner

Jul 12, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read from July 02 to 11, 2011, read count: Rereading

A mid-life woman who writes romance novels goes to a Swiss hotel to get away from choices she's made. Sharply observed and beautifully written, with flashes of wit.

"And what is the most potent myth of all?" she went on, in the slightly ringing tones that caused him to make a discreet sign to the waiter for the bill. " The tortoise and the hare", she pronounced. " People love this one, especially women. Now you will notice, Harold, that in my books it is the mouse-like unassuming girl who gets the hero, while the scornful temptress with whom he has had a stormy affair retreats baffled from the fray, never to return. The tortoise wins every time. This is a lie, of course," she said, pleasantly, but with authority, the kiwi fruit slipping back unnoticed onto her plate. "In real life, of course, it is the hare that wins. Every time. Look around you. And in any case it is my contention that Aesop was writing for the tortoise market. Axiomatically," she cried, her voice rising with enthusiasm. "Hares have no time to read. They are too busy winning the game...."

"The facts of life are too terrible to go into my kind of fiction. And my readers certainly do not want them there."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hotel du Lac.