Rusty's Reviews > Becoming Marie Antoinette

U_50x66
Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, won-arc-for-review
Read from August 11 to October 03, 2011 — I own a copy

Having just read reviews of this book on another site I find that I might just be in the minority. Yes, I liked the key character. The author does an excellent job of creating a character with which the reader can identify. However, I felt that the book dragged in the first half. The details about training to become the dauphine of France, wife of the future king seemed too extensive to me. My first thought was that the author was lengthening the book so she could get three books instead of two or one. However, the last half was much more interesting as the reader walks with 'Toinette through the politically charged French court. No matter what she does she is criticized by someone. And, when the king dies, the scenes are emotionally realistic. Will I read the next two in this trilogy? I'm not sure at this point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Marie Antoinette.

09/26/2011 page 100
22.0% "This part of the novel focuses on her life at 11 and 12. She loses a sister to smallpox and another is married while she herself is being groomed for marriage to the dauphin of France. She wears braces on her teeth, learns to "glide" and many dances. Her French is critiqued as she practices and practices to eliminate her German accent. Nothing is certain as the French have not yet sent the marriage contract."