Maria's Reviews > Three in Death

Three in Death by J.D. Robb

Mar 09, 2008

bookshelves: nora-roberts-re-reads, romance-mystery-scifi-thriller
Read from December 09, 2016 to January 16, 2017 , read count: 4

12-26-2016: Interlude in Death (12.5) - I had previously read in Out of This World (4 stories, only one of which was JD Robb) which occurs during the first year of Eve and Roarke's marriage. Too short, but it has many of the characters with Peabody, Feeney, Morris, Mira all attending a police seminar where Eve is expected to give a speech. Horrors! I would have loved to have heard it though. A bit disappointing that she didn't get around to giving it, what with murder and mayhem dogging her footsteps. Theme is "sins of the fathers ..." and it has an old fogy who is delightfully behind the times where women in the work force, gun bans, etc. are concerned. Just the man to rile the blood. A legend in the police force, he retires from a successful 50 years as a policeman and fails, like Wellington, at politics. I've often wondered why people who excel at giving orders think they can make it in politics where the art of making the deal rules. Businessmen, yes. Military and police, no. At any rate, the book is first rate, but, again, too short.

12-9-2016: Midnight in Death (7.5) occurs during their first Christmas season together. I am trying to re-read all the In Death books in order but I had already finished the 9th one when I realized this one is 7.5. So I stopped and read it quickly for the third time, while trying to figure out where it belongs in the sequence. Fortunately, Holiday in Death made such an impact, it was pretty easy. This one, too, takes place during the Christmas holidays, beginning on Christmas day where Holiday left off. No new characters introduced, the murderer is known from the beginning by both Eve and the reader, and the murders are grizzly, but still it's hard to put down. It is a good, quick read.

1-16-2016: Haunted in Death (22.5) takes place during Roarke and Eve's second year of marriage and after Peabody and McNab start their cohab. The plot is eerie but strangely believable. There are no surprises (odd that I thought there would be) for the first murder, occurring 85 years prior in the 1960's. But that murder is followed by generations of emotional and spiritual mayhem, most sadly for the victim's family. I had trouble with that part of the story, because it doesn't seem fair or right to not only be murdered but to haunt your family to madness. The murderer's family, yes. Your own, no. As usual, the story is too short and you are left wondering what happens to the Gills and to Number 12. I guess something should be left to the reader's imaginations, they should do some of the work after getting all the enjoyment of Ms. Roberts work, but Ms. Roberts has such a fertile imagination herself that I prefer hers to mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three in Death.

12/09 marked as: read