Karla's Reviews > Save Me

F_50x66
Jun 04, 11

Read in June, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Save Me, Lisa Scottoline
This is my first Lisa Scottoline book.
I was so excited finding this at the library waiting for me!
The initial story line pulled me in. The story begins with a young family moving to a new town and school. The daughter, Melly is being taunted and teased over a birthmark (calling the child by her real name might help deter some of the bullying). The Mom, Rose, volunteers at the school as a "lunch mom" to view her daughter's interaction with classmates and the bully. All of this seemed to be typical and something that might occur in a normal family situation. A fire breaks out at the school during Rose's lunch mom duties and she rescues the bully, another student and then her own daughter in that order. Although Rose has directed the children out of the building the bully, Amanda, is somehow severely injured. The story of the fire and what happened is reported by the media and morphs into a story of blame and negligence on the part of the "lunch mom". Rather than defend herself and set the story straight, Rose cowers and hides in fear of lawsuits and the media, based on her husband and lawyer's guidance. Even this is believable.
At this point Rose is intimidated by every person's opinion of her in this town, and then suddenly we're asked to believe that Rose overnight becomes supersleuth and saves the day. Really?!
Once the writer gets past the fire and the first night in the hospital, the writing became very tedious. I quickly became tired of the repeated "hit the gas" and "pressing "L" for Leo" on her cellphone references. What were these overused phrases intended to add to the story and do for me as a reader, other than annoy me?
Yes, please, Save Me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save Me.