Nic's Reviews > The Field Guide

U 50x66
Jun 04, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in June, 2011 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** June is audiobook month, and I also wanted something to listen to while I worked on some art stuff, so I picked up a CD set with books one through five of The Spiderwick Chronicles from the library.

Fun stuff. I hadn't thought about how short the books are - they read (sound) almost like long short stories, having somewhat cliffhangery endings and with each one really revolving around one episode. I'm enjoying them, though, especially the humor. I also like the fact that the big sister is physically the toughest and strongest of the siblings, as well as being a fencer.

As far as the reading - by Mark Hamill - I like it pretty well. He does some good voices. Sometimes he gives bits of dialogue different emphasis or tone than I'd have imagined the character giving them if I'd read them, but mostly it's great.

The tadpoles-in-ice-cubes thing surprised me a bit; kind of freaky and sad. Funny, though, how I was immediately worried about the mice, like, "Yeah, they killed the tadpoles, but they wouldn't kill the mice, would they?" :P

Might have to pick up a copy of the book sometime just to see whether it's illustrated. It sort of sounds like it should be, if that makes sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Field Guide.