Amy Y's Reviews > Little House on the Prairie

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Jun 04, 11

I wish I could give it 3.5 stars. While I thoroughly enjoyed Laura's description of the prairie and the details about the building of the house and of daily subsistence living, it was difficult to read such an the unkind portrayal of the native people when it was the Ingalls who were the trespassers. However, it is foolish to apply modern ethics to historic works of fiction, so I don't feel too harshly toward this book. But Pa's abrupt uprooting of the family once again , just when they had finally settled in, and his outrage at the US government over their likely ousting of them from the land on which settlement was not permitted (of which he was fully aware) just boils my blood. Charles seems somewhat progressive for a man of his time, especially in his attitude toward the Indians, but Caroline was a freaking saint for the way she dealt with his whims.

I can't believe I missed reading these as a kid. If I had, I'm sure these points of annoyance would have skipped right past me. I still look forward to the rest of the series. Some day I'm just going to have to churn my own butter.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little House on the Prairie.