Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)'s Reviews > Rebirth

Rebirth by Sophie Littlefield

Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: arc, apocalypse, favorites, netgalley, science-fiction, urban-fantasy, zombies

Review posted here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2011/06/arc-book-review-rebirth-aftertime-2-by.html

Now for those that don’t know or haven’t seen it yet, I gave Aftertime (book 1) a huge rating. Well Sophie Littlefield has done it again with Rebirth. The sequel coming out quickly after its debut packs as big of an emotional punch as the first book. Littlefield has once again given us a book that beautifully written and heartwrenching.

Rebirth starts a little bit after Aftertime has left off. Cass is living in the Box with Smoke and Ruthie. They are alive and as well as they can be. Beaters (zombies) are still roaming around, but Dor has the Box well secured. Everyone is content until the Box receives news about the Rebuilders. The Rebuilders are a group of people who are using people’s desperation to create their own world. They give everyone two choices; join or die. When Cass and the others find out what they have done to their friends at the library, Smoke takes it upon himself to avenge them including the woman he was with before he met Cass. This starts a domino effect for Cass. While she is battling with trying to keep her and Ruthie above water, Cass is also battling with herself and her past demons.

What surprised me most about this is that we start to see things from Dor’s point of view. He comes off as nothing but a greedy, selfish, take-no-bullshit type of man. But we discover that finding out that his daughter has been taken, Dor tries to go on a one man killing spree. Unfortunately, Cass is tired of the Box and hurt by what Smoke has done. While working on their plan to get into the Rebuilder’s colony, Cass takes her pain out on Dor. This was something I didn’t expect, but was realistic. I understood why things went the way they did, but some might not like it.

Aftertime is already on my Best Book of 2011 list. I will put Rebirth on my Best Sequel of 2011 list. Honestly this is one of the greatest series I have read. The characters are believable. They are trying to stay alive, but they are still human and are battling with things that just don’t go away because the world has changed. It has been said plenty of times, but I will say it again. The book is quite reminiscent to The Walking Dead in that aspect. Zombies are a part of the equation, but they are not the only factor. We see that even though the world isn’t the same anymore and everyone wants to survive, there are more threats than just the zombies. And sometimes it is you that you are up against.

The plot is rich, well-paced and insane. With every chapter, we get another bombshell. When things fall into place and we find out exactly what the Rebuilders are up to, it added just another layer of horror to the story. I didn’t think it was possible considering all that they are enduring, but trust me, it gets far worse. I won’t go so much into this because I am afraid to reveal secrets.

I don’t know what else I can say for you to read this series. It is truly extraordinary. Littlefield really didn’t hold much back in this sequel, so please be prepared for some uncomfortable scenes. This book was raw and emotional. Rebirth is a powerful book that will once again put you on an emotional rollercoaster. Being placed in a world that is lost and full of desperation and anguish, Littlefield has once again given us a beautiful piece of work. I heard this is going to be a trilogy so the next book is it, but honestly, I wish it didn’t have to end. Make sure to buy this July 19. Read it and then read it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebirth.

06/04/2011 page 105

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana (Offbeat Vagabond) --- 365andMe wrote: "Thanks for the friend add. I'm not on Twitter, but practically live here. :) I read book one of AFTERTIME and loved it. How's book two coming along?"

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana wrote: "I loved Aftertime, gave it a 6 out of 5 stars LOL! I already finished Rebirth last week or so, just haven't gotten the chance to write the review. I loved it as well. I am setting up an interview with Littlefield so hopefully I can get others into her books if they haven't already. Thank you for accepting hon :)"

I haven't read that many zombie books. WWZ on audio was about it. This one has me looking for more. :)

Diana (Offbeat Vagabond) --- 365andMe wrote: "Diana wrote: "I loved Aftertime, gave it a 6 out of 5 stars LOL! I already finished Rebirth last week or so, just haven't gotten the chance to write the review. I loved it as well. I am setting up ..."

WWZ got me into zombie books too. Such a good book. I loved it. But Rebirth was really good. Littlefield is amazing with pace. I hope this gets made into a movie. It will be good enough to battle the Walking Dead (a show I love!). Hope to start the graphic novels soon though. Hope you like Rebirth when you get it. I have an interview set up with Littlefield, so hopefully we will be giving away books 1 & 2 *fingers crossed*

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana wrote: "...the Walking Dead (a show I love!)..."

YES! I can't wait to watch season two.

Diana (Offbeat Vagabond) --- 365andMe wrote: "Diana wrote: "...the Walking Dead (a show I love!)..."

YES! I can't wait to watch season two."

Oh I love the Walking Dead. I got my whole family into watching it even my grandmother LOL! It is an amazing show. Season 2 can't get here quick enough. After the way season 1 ended, I am way too anxious :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Diana wrote: "After the way season 1 ended, I am way too anxious :) "

Same here!

Diana (Offbeat Vagabond) --- 365andMe wrote: "Diana wrote: "After the way season 1 ended, I am way too anxious :) "

Same here!"

Man I want to watch this right now. Maybe there are some episodes saved on the DVR *fingers crossed*