Giselle's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: paranormal
Read from July 23 to 27, 2011

This book started with a bang. It was very creepy, exciting and really intriguing, but it all went downhill from there. Once the mystery around the house was explained - which was fairly early and without any nuance - it became a very boring and almost childish story, which I didn't expect at all.

One thing I can say I enjoyed was the photographs- they're scattered throughout the book, all black and white and remarkably creepy. They add a nice eery touch to the story and gives it a really unique flair.

The plot is what I didn't like. After its strong beginning, it fizzles into this bland and predictably dull tale. Don't get me wrong. It's very unique and unconventional so I can see it's appeal. It's also well written and does stem from great creativity, but I found it lacked too much detail and sophistication. The characters, too, fell flat and as a few things went unexplained we were left with scattered holes in the plot.

This book is marketed for young adults but definitely feels more juvenile, like a child's fairy tale, which is not what I expected hence leaving me feeling a bit underwhelmed.
248 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

07/24/2011 page 97
28.0% "This is cree-py! Love it!"
show 1 hidden update…

Sara I totally agree with you! I did love looking at the creepy pictures but the story became kind of cookie cutter :(

message 2: by Lj (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lj Couldn't agree more!

Becca You are so right! I loved the beginning of this book! Well, the first about 1/3 anyways. There were so many different directions this story could have taken. Unfortunately, it took the least interesting (to me anyways) route.

message 4: by Astraea (new)

Astraea Children's fairy tales generally come from adult folktales and have a lot more substance than this book did. I got through half of it at the pharmacy before I gave up.

Melissa This is exactly the review I would have left. Couldn't have said it better

Giselle Thanks guys I'm def. not the only one who feels the same it was pretty disappointing.

message 7: by Kyra (new) - added it

Kyra Love at last hey, I am 14 and even I thought that this novel lacked a whole lot its like one of those make up your own answers kind of a story even though I don't think it is supposed to be. oh and btw love your review, it hits the nail on the head!! ;)

Michelle Sharp EXACTLY how I felt about this book, Giselle. Great review.

Giselle Michelle wrote: "EXACTLY how I felt about this book, Giselle. Great review."

Thanks Michelle. :)

message 10: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara Yup. My thoughts exactly.

David Yep. Started well, got duller by the moment. Even the big finale was bleh - I skipped a couple of lines and realised I had missed the action

message 12: by Thea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thea Liwanag You pretty much said it. I rated it 4 anyway. I thought it would at least bring justice to the wonderful photos.

Genevieve Your review is exactly what I was trying to say in my own.

message 14: by Tess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tess Gerber It could have turned into a great mystery, but just kind of went no where like you said. With that said, it was a quick easy read for the long weekend...

Laura I agree with this review and could not have put it better. I was immediately pulled in and loved the creepy pictures which kept me reading to find out what happens to Jacob and the peculiar children. In the end, I think it fell a little flat but kudos to the author for keeping the mystery going enough to make me not want to put the book down till I was finished.

message 16: by Li (new) - rated it 2 stars

Li Yan Another complete agreement. What a shame, as it had such potential.

Kitschiekatie I don't even have to write my own review because this is exactly how I felt after reading this book.

Jamie I couldn't have said it better myself. You read my mind. :)

Nashly I agree. I only gave it 3 stars because of the creepy pictures. I feel I have to read the second part to it though.

Patty You summed up my thoughts completely!

Chere The book is quite popular and I've heard raves about it so I thought I was the only one who felt disappointment. Apparently not. I feel much the same as you.. It started out well but fell a bit short if my expectations.

Susan Totally agree

message 23: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica I'm starting this book . I love the creepy pictures but with all the reviews I'm hoping I will not be disappointed.

Raeesa Lalani agreed! i was hoping for so much more and it kind of went in the expected direction

message 25: by shel (new) - rated it 3 stars

shel b Egggggggggggggsactly.

Crystal Nicole This review is spot on! I was hooked in the beginning of this book, and seriously disappointed to find out that it ended up being about a contrived (and, honestly, kind of creepy) love story between the main character and the main character's GRANDFATHER'S former love interest.

Shirley Exactly my sentiments. Had to force myself to finish it.

Shirley Exactly my sentiments. Had to force myself to finish it.

message 29: by Latreese (new) - added it

Latreese Lovence I agree that the beginning definitely had me hooked tremendously and I couldn't put it down for the first 100 pages or so. What made it so intriguing was the plot and how there didn't seem to be an explanation to Grandpa Portman's ways. That was the piece of the story that was missing that pulled me into the plot so heavily. But when it was revealed and Jacob found out about the orphanage, the story takes a direct turn in which I understand why you found it distasteful.
I also agree with your enjoyment of the photographs. The photos were definitely a unique distinguishing factor of the book. They were extremely creepy sometimes, which appealed to my humor, but sometimes ,especially towards the end, I had a hard time trying to figure out how the photos related to the story being conveyed and what Jacob was going through at that specific time.

Hannah Wilborn Personally, I've been trying to form an opinion about this book for a while, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I really liked the photos throughout the stroy and book, but I didn't really get into the plot. I would hva eot read pages three or four times for it to sink in. I don't know. I don't want to say I didn't like it, I just don't know if I loved it. I liked the characters and the eerie feel of the book, but it was that sophisticated and entertaining. There were certainly plot twists, but I never had a "whoa" moment, where I had to stop and process anything I'd read. So, I'm not sure if I like this book or not actually.

Devon Your review is spot on! I just finished thisblast night and had similar feelings. I loved the beginning creepy yet engaging and I couldn't wait for Jacob to get to the house and for the story to really get going. Then he got there. And all was down hill from there.