Anthony Guo's Reviews > The Mistress of Spices

M_50x66
Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: 9th-grade-quarter-4
Read in June, 2011

The Mistress of Spices, by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, is an Indian novel that is about Tilo, the protagonist, and her occupation as a Mistress. A Mistress has magical powers, which includes using the powers of spices and interacting with them. But a Mistress also have certain laws that they have to bend to, but Tilo is forced to decide whether to stay as a Mistress or to break the laws just to fulfill her desires.
I really like this book because first of all there are mystical powers in the book. I am a fantasy lover, so that was one reason I like this book really much. Also, there were lots of tension, because of Tilo who has to decide whether to have powers over spices or to be with a certain person. The tension builds up in my mind, and the ending finally displays the reason of all the tension building up. I would love to recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a sense of Indian culture, and the sense of doing something that they are not suppose to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mistress of Spices.