Kari's Reviews > The Summer We Came to Life

The Summer We Came to Life by Deborah Cloyed

Jul 09, 11

Read from July 06 to 09, 2011

I struggled between rating this book between 4 or 5 stars. The reason being was because when I was about 85% through the book, something important happened to Samantha, which at first I wasn't too into it. However, by the close of the book, I realized that it was an important part of the story. I think overall, this book is about love and loss, and not betraying yourself while dealing with both. It held challenges of race, culture, love and death. Starting out, this book was definitely not what I had expected, but throughout reading it, I was able to embrace and welcome the unexpected story plots. For example, The Summer We Came to Life was listed as a story about 4 friends, one of them had passed away. So I imagined it to be about the 3 friends. Not only did it include all of the friends at some point or another, but also two of the girls' mothers in the story, one husband, and one friend/lover of a mother. I didn't really like the fact that I was surprised by these additions, but when their stories unfolded, I was grateful that these supplemental characters were included in this story. It would not have been the same without them, by far. The only regret I have with this book, is the lacking of Samantha's father's backstory, because all of the other characters shared theirs. Great story overall, and the journal entries and interactions between Mina and Samantha are beautiful as well as sad. Anyone who has lost someone can relate to what those two discuss, and research and wish for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer We Came to Life.