Paulina's Reviews > Pretty Dead

Pretty Dead by Francesca Lia Block

Jun 05, 11

Read from June 04 to 05, 2011

This was a strange vampire book that I have read and the first book that I've read from Francesca Lia Block.
My Synopsis:
Vampire girl, Charlotte Emerson, has dealt with death her past, present, and future. She is surrounded by a busy world, but somehow she feels isolated in her palacial-like home. She finds herself that as much one desires for eternal life and beauty, it is something to her sh longs to not want to have anymore. Charlotte's true friend that she had, Emily, has died mysteriously; Emily's long wish to be just like Charlotte drop-dead beautiful and to live forever. When Emily dies, Charlotte starts morphing into a human and she gets zits, periods, and pimples. She also finds herself fancied by Emily's boyfriend, Jared, company. Also her creator and long-term boyfriend William comes strangely back into her life bringing Emily back from the dead. What will Charlotte do live forever or die human?

Characters:
Charlotte Emerson: Charlotte actually was tolerable, in my opinion. She writes gothic poetry, enjoys clothes, and she generally doesn't want to be stricken with death all the time. She is described as being drop-dead gorgeous with pale skin and painted red lips (hence, the cover) and nails. She really longs for her true soulmate and she really wants to have her baby. I would also describe her attitude as very maternal in terms her behavior towards characters in her book.
Jared Pierce: Jared is very clingy and emotional. His look is very bad-ass, but he is very torn emotionally inside from his girlfriend's death to being the 'black sheep' of his family. I didn't really like the male characters of the book, because I wished he would just honestly, grow some balls.
William (Billy) Stone Eliot: Now, William has too much balls and is very cocky. I do not like how he treated Charlotte, his forcefulness, and his pushiness. He caused ruckus and chaos wherever he went, and killed people who were close to him and Charlotte. Did not enjoy his tricks whatsoever.
Emily Rosedale: Emily was very vulnerable and a great character. She was very tomboyish and completed Charlotte's character. However, I did not think of her as the cute tomboy at the end and what *spoiler* William made her at the end.

Overall, this book was so-so. I think Block's writing style is very creative, illusive, and her fully-detailed imagery created pictures in my mind. I think that the nudity and the f-word curses could have been put away, but otherwise she done a beautiful job in taking us through the ages with Charlotte from 1925-to present day. There is some history, paranormal, and contemporary thrown in all together which I had enjoyed. I think her characters made me the most disappointed and the boy characters made this book fall from 5 to 3 stars. Honestly, if there were was a better romance (not just undeveloped sex) and a better male lead(s)...
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Dead.

06/04/2011 page 52
25.0% "Strange vamp story so far..."