Josiah's Reviews > A Sick Day for Amos McGee

A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead

1914201
Jun 04, 11

In my view, A Sick Day for Amos McGee is one of the best Caldecott Medal winners in recent memory. Author Philip C. Stead and illustrator Erin E. Stead make a good team, the creative output of each reflected well by the artistic imagination of the other.

Amos McGee is as good a keeper as any animal in a zoo could hope to have. He cares for the creatures under his protection as individuals, according to their unique personalities, forming a distinctly different relationship with each one. He plays chess with the intellectual elephant and runs races with the athletic tortoise, sits quietly with the shy penguin and reads a good-night story to the owl, who happens to be afraid of the dark. On behalf of such a kind, generous man, it's little wonder that on a day when Amos comes down with a cold and can't go in to work, the animals to whom he has given so freely of himself would return the favor, each in their own unique way.

I'm really very pleased with A Sick Day for Amos McGee, even though I would have chosen City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems to be the recipient of the 2011 Caldecott Medal. A Sick Day for Amos McGee is a sweetly told story accompanied by affectionate, old-fashioned style artwork, and it very memorably gets the message across that one who is truly good to one's friends will not be left wanting for companionship when a dark day inevitably comes. Friendliness and love always circle back to those who freely give them, as Amos McGee finds out on a sick day that turns out to be, by its conclusion, a rather pleasant experience.

I would give two and a half stars to A Sick Day for Amos McGee.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sick Day for Amos McGee.