Brandy Painter's Reviews > The False Princess

The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, mystery, fantasy
Read on June 04, 2011

Review originally posted here.

From first reading the premise of this book I wanted to read it. It is an interesting concept, having a character go through finding out their life is a lie. Even though there is nothing new about it, it is a fascinating idea. I began reading expecting to get an interesting story about a girl having to cope and change after learning a devastating truth. I had no idea I was in for a story with so much political intrigue and mystery. Imagine my delight to discover that I was. I love stories like this, that require unraveling, characters looking for clues, fitting pieces of a puzzle together to see the whole picture. Add in convoluted court politics and magic and I'm a happy girl. The final third of the book is action packed with many tense moments.

It is still a character story as well. The first part of the book is about a girl devastated, discovering herself, finding where she belongs, struggling with who she might be.

I liked Sinda from the beginning. Her world is decimated by the news of her birth. Her emotions are in turmoil, but she still thinks. And chooses her reactions after she thinks. She is sensible. There are times when this trait abandons her. There are a couple of times when she really should have listened to Kiernan (her best friend). But overall, I liked how she wasn't a battering ram, no matter how many times others accused her of being so. She simply chose her battles.

I would have liked Kiernan's character to have been fleshed out more. He is a good partner and foil for Sind as he is. He's the quintessential boy next door/good guy character. I feel there was a depth to him though that was almost there but not quite.

If you enjoy fantasies that involve politics, magic, mystery and adventure this is very enjoyable. It is YA but is one that I could definitely see anyone with the ability to read it, no matter the age, enjoying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Princess.