Andrew's Reviews > Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances

liked it
bookshelves: kindle
Read from March 07 to April 12, 2012

Review Taken From The Pewter Wolf

Now, I didn't know much on steampunk before I was told. But, to my understanding, it's an alternative history that uses steampower. Most stories are set in the Victorian England, but there can be set in the Wild West, in the Second World War among others. You could include Mortal Engines and His Dark Materials as steampunk novels (that's according to that trusted site, Wikipedia). And steampunk novels can have touchs of fantasy, sci-fi and other genres, but as long as there's steam technology in the background.

I could be completely wrong about the above paragraph but that's how I read Wikipedia.

So, 13 short stories set in the worlds of steampunk from well-known YA authors. Did this collection make me fall in love with steampunk?

Er… yes and no. And the reason for both these answers is that it depends on the author and the story they wrote. I mean, this is a collection of short stories so, of course, you will find stories that were great and longed for more. And then there were others that were just ok. Nothing great, but alright. And then you have one or two where you finished the story more confused and preplexed than when you started the story! It's a mix bag and you are not going to like them all.

There's not much else to say expect this is a nice way to introducing yourself to steampunk (and die-hard steampunk fans will love it). And, after reading Maria V. Snyder's Under Amber Skies, am very excited to read Poison Study.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Corsets & Clockwork.

03/07/2012
6.0% "First story was... Er...."
03/10/2012
11.0% "Not sure how I feel about this second story... And not even halfway through it..."
03/13/2012
16.0% "Story two finished. And not sure I like steampunk.... Morning, though."
03/19/2012
22.0% "This story - not finished yet (& I forgotten it's name. Wild Magic) - is actually good. But it's more fey than steampunk though...."
03/20/2012
26.0% "This short - WILD MAGIC by Ann Aguirre - seems more fairy than steampunk. But I like it's more one than the other... Now, DEADWOOD by Michael Scott!"
03/20/2012
27.0% "This DEADWOOD is good! But I need sleep! Will finish/read it tomorrow!"
03/21/2012
32.0% "Finished DEADWOOD. I like that one! Now, to sleep or start reading CODE OF BLOOD by Dru Pagliassotti...?"
03/22/2012
35.0% "Not much on this today. Too sleepy!"
03/24/2012
43.0% "Finished CODE OF BLOOD. Not half bad. Now, for CLOCKWORK CORSET by Adrienne Kress."
03/24/2012
47.0% "So far, so odd. How Victorian."
03/26/2012
50.0% "Halfway, folks! Halfway!"
03/29/2012
52.0% "Finished CLOCKWORK CORSET. Now, for AIRSHIP GEMINI by Jaclyn Dolamore..."
03/31/2012
58.0% "This AIRSHIP GEMINI is better than I thought it would be...."
04/01/2012
59.0% "Finished THE AIRSHIP GEMINI by Jaclyn Dolamore. Quite good. Now for the story I'm the most intrigued of: UNDER AMBER SKIES by Maria V. Snyder..."
04/04/2012
67.0% "Oh, Maria V Snyder. Why haven't I read you sooner? (now, onto KING OF THE GREENLIGHT CITY by Tessa Gratton...)"
04/06/2012
70.0% "I don't think I get KING OF THE GREENLIGHT CITY. I can't seem to warm to it..."
04/08/2012
73.0% "So, KING OF THE GREENLIGHT CITY by Tess Gratton. One of the collection's weakest. Not that great."
04/08/2012
80.0% "Finished THE EMPEROR's MAN by Tiffany Trent. I like this story. Not love it, but I liked it. Now, the next story is CHICKIE HILL's BADASS RIDE by Dia Reeves...."
04/09/2012
88.0% "Finished CHICKIE HILL'S BADASS RIDE by Dia Reeves. I quite like this. Now, to bed & tomorrow, THE VAST MACHINERY OF DREAMS by Caitlin Kittredge..."
04/11/2012
92.0% "Well... THE VAST MACHINERY OF DREAMS... That's one weird little story. Now to read TICK TOCK BOOM by Kiersten White..."
04/11/2012
94.0% "Will finish this tomorrow."
show 1 hidden update…