Jessica's Reviews > James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small

James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children by James Herriot

1196543
Jun 08, 11

bookshelves: 2nd-grade
Read in June, 2011

We are homeschoolers that use many ideas from the Charlotte Mason style of teaching. This book was my daughter's assigned reading for literature during 2nd grade. She is a bit behind in her reading skills, so this would probably be more 1st grade reading level for most Charlotte Mason homeschoolers. She would read for 15 minutes each day and then narrate orally to me what she had read about. It took her about three weeks to complete this book.

I liked this book because it was the first I've found that I could get my daughter to read each day without a battle. She is an animal lover and enjoyed all the cute animal stories in this collection. The writing is simple and easy for a beginning reader, without being boring. There are also lots of colorful illustrations to assist the child with envisioning what they are reading. There is also nothing of questionable morality in this book that would make a parent nervous about their child reading it (always an important point for me).

Over all, a good book that I will probably use again for my younger children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read James Herriot's Treasury of Inspirational Stories for Children.