Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)'s Reviews > Eternal Kiss of Darkness

Eternal Kiss of Darkness by Jeaniene Frost

Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: heroines-with-spunk, hunks-of-the-world, must-haves, series-i-love, good-reads
Read from June 20 to 29, 2011

Goodreads Summary

An immortal war has been brewing in the darkness . . . And now one woman has stumbled into the shadows.

Chicago private investigator Kira Graceling should have just kept on walking. But her sense of duty refused to let her ignore the moans of pain coming from inside a warehouse just before dawn. Suddenly she finds herself in a world she's only imagined in her worst nightmares.

At the center is Mencheres, a breathtaking Master vampire who thought he'd seen it all. Then Kira appears, this fearless, beautiful . . . human who braved death to rescue him. Though he burns for her, keeping Kira in his world means risking her life. Yet sending her away is unthinkable.

But with danger closing in, Mencheres must choose either the woman he craves, or embracing the darkest magic to defeat an enemy bent on his eternal destruction.

My Thoughts

So this book was good. I really liked it and I loved that my Main-Man Mencheres got his little breakaway novel!! I mean me and Kira had our issues, but I'll get into that in a moment. Let me just start off by stating how much I love this author! She is AMAZING. Her ability to capture a character's emotion is truly inspiring and that is why she is my hero.

I.

LOVE.

HER.

------------ marry me? ------------

*sighs* I thought not, the husband thing does kind of get in the way...."I'll wait for you?"

description

Lol so maybe I don't love her that much, but I do enough - not in a creepy way, if you are reading this, Mrs. Frost! Haha so I'm done talking, and before I get banned from gushing, I'm going to head right into my review:

Plot: Man this plot was a doozy I mean really, there was so much history with Menchere's origin (WOW), and then the curve balls practically flying from Rajedef! (view spoiler) It was fantastic to read, and surprised me ten times over. I do not blame my slower reading pace on the novel's ability to interest, In that regard it was very capable, I was the one at fault. Something boring called life kept getting in the way.

I didn't really have time to devote to this book like I did to other's by this author, and if you check out my track record this has got to be the longest period of time that I have taken to read something from Frosty Goodness, as I will now call her. (Except for 'Halfway to the Grave' maybe, but that was before I was really hooked.)

Life is just a pain and a lot of times it gets in the way. That maxim seemed particularly true with Mencheres! My buddy really had it hard until Kira showed up. I believe that is the reason I will just accept her; not that I like her, but because she makes Mencheres happy. I won't dream of hacking her head off anymore, I can't promise anything else but that's a start!

Setting: As with most of her novels Frost does change the locations often. They are In Mexico one second before flying off to Chicago the next! Another thing I loved. Her diversity is a quality that made every book before this engaging and will surely continue to do the same with all her future endeavors; not to mention how aptly they were described! She really does have talent, but my regret lies at not exploring the Mayan ruins more!! I really wanted Mencheres or someone to have to scour the place for Kira and instead we just got a very brief line or two about it. Ah, I guess i'll have to wait and see in a couple years!

Characters: Were all great except Kira, sorry, not a fan. Maybe I see her as the other woman, or possibly it is just her character, but a lot of things bothered me about her! I despised how her sense of protectiveness came off as pushy, I wanted to tell her to step off more than once! She was annoying and constantly acting as though Menchere's friends did not care for him when really she hasn't been there since the beginning of his life either!

Also, her talk with Cat came off as self-righteous. (view spoiler) Ugh, I disliked her even more after reading this book and she isn't the kind of person I would get on with at all. I like Cat and Denise better and hope Vlad's chika is a lot less like Kira. Blame the newborn vampire thing, but I couldn't care less, chick be tripping and I suppose that really is the reason she didn't have many friends as a human!

I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU MENCHERES!!!! He was so elegant and smooth and Mama was he sexy! He just made me melt...over, and over, and over again.

H.M. (Honorable Mention): Goes to Vlad! Haha I adore my Romanian Count! Thank you Frosty Goodness for redeeming yourself with him after the disaster that is Kira! I hope to see a lot more of him in future, he just lights up a book and it is not solely because of his fire power! Guy is very fine.

P.A. (Problem Areas): The only thing I would say Frost really needs to work on is probably producing more likable characters. The Originals like Cat, Bones, Vlad, Spade, Ian and the rest are golden, but I am not liking the near future. That being Kira whose character is supposed to come off as hard and tough, just succeeds in only grinding my nerves. I want more people to cheer on, not hate, and I can understand where she was going with Kira. It just never reached for me and it cost the rating of the book 1 whole point. I cannot wait for more from this author and I pray she channels that awesome creativity into molding someone very attractive to the reader!

And overall it was a great read. Warnings are out for younger BookWorms, there is very passionate and deprived sex going on in this book so stave from reading this if what I am writing applies to you. Otherwise I give it a flushing four stars! Oh and props to the person who decided to make this cover ten billion times better than Spade's! Not to slam a homey, but he looked like such a creep in 'First Drop of Crimson'! No shiz, it really did suck and Menchere's cover is somewhat better, but I am not feeling the fake blood.

I think that could be a problem area ready for improvement...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal Kiss of Darkness.

06/20/2011 page 40
10.0% "I knew I would like this book!!"
06/22/2011 page 100
26.0% "I may be suffering from jealousy, maybe because I see Kira as the other woman? Meh."
06/29/2011 page 266
69.0% "Almost done..."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ivy G. lmao... I love reading your reviews... They're hilarious !

Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads) Ivette wrote: "lmao... I love reading your reviews... They're hilarious !"

Aw, thanks luv ;)