Daniela's Reviews > We Have Met the Enemy: Self-Control in an Age of Excess

We Have Met the Enemy by Daniel Akst

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: adult, american, non-fiction, social-commentary
Read from June 04 to July 04, 2011

Summary:
In this unique, exploratory text, author Daniel Akst addresses the issue of self control in a modern world obessed with immediate gratification. Not only are we inept at protecting ourselves from these ‘enemies,’ speculates Akst, but we are also tempted by them more and more frequently. Ours is a society rich not only in capital, but also in self indulgence.

My Thoughts:
Self-control, or lack thereof, is a profound issue that we all endure on a day-to-day basis. In fact, it has the been the topic of many conversations with my father. We have both become increasingly aware of the environmental cues that shape our decisions - from what to eat to finding balance between work and leisure.

Akst’s book is a provocative one, though at times he tends to dither a bit too much and repeat his ideas. The text could have been accomplished in much fewer pages than its current 275. And there are times that Akst is much too wordy and lost me at some points. But that said, this is worth a read for those interested in the topic- even just a skim. It’s an important topic and one that deserves even further deconstruction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Have Met the Enemy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Wallace Now this looks like an interesting book. I've often thought about the whole "freedom" thing that a lot of people seem obsessed with and the lack of self-control that they seem to think it entitles them to. I hope you do a review of this one when you're done!

Daniela It's pretty interesting so far. And so true! We have a serious self control problem in our society :( I'll be sure to post my thoughts about it when I finish.