Robin's Reviews > Tales of Shakespeare

Tales of Shakespeare by Charles Lamb

Jun 04, 11

bookshelves: at-home
Read in June, 1997, read count: 1

The edition I have was published in 1863. I got it several years ago in Amsterdam. These snippits of Shakespeare provide a wonderful overview for many of his best known works. They were written to instruct young children (particularly nineteenth century girls) on the basic stories in Shakespeare's plays, so that when they grew older and began studying Shakespear in earnest, they would already be familiar with the basics and could focus on learning the more subtle parts of his work. Even as an adult, I find them enjoyable and useful. I pulled this book down today to refresh my memory on a play that I'm going to see later this evening.

Of course there are many newer editions out there with these same brief summaries by Charles and Mary Lamb. I would recommend every household have one. The beauty of this collection of stories is that it makes Shakespeare accessible to people of all ages and all stages of learning.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of Shakespeare.