Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > The Season

The Season by Sarah MacLean

This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: March 1, 2009 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Orchard Books
Author’s Website: http://macleanspace.com/
My Source for This Book: Used Bookstore
Part of a Series: No
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Warm

Official Blurb:
Seventeen-year-old Lady Alexandra Stafford is strong-willed and sharp-tongued and not interested in marriage. Unfortunately, her mother is determined to marry her off to someone safe, respectable, wealthy, and almost certainly boring. But Alex is much more interested in adventure than romance.

Between ball gown fittings, dances, and dinner parties, Alex, along with her two best friends, Ella and Vivi, manages to get entangled in her biggest scrape yet. When the Earl of Blackmoor’s father is mysteriously killed in a riding accident, Alex helps his son, the devilishly handsome Gavin, to discover the truth. It’s a mystery brimming with espionage, murder, suspicion, and true love.

Romance and danger fill the air, as this year’s Season begins!

To be honest, the official blurb does an excellent job of summarizing, so I won’t be adding my own version for once :P

As a Young Adult book, there is of course very little sensuality. I found that I didn't actually miss it. I think this may be owed to both Alexandra and Gavin's ages -- despite common social mores at the time, I've never really warmed to the whole marriage-at-17 thing for women.

While I was annoyed with Gavin's courtship of Penelope in the beginning, and his hypocritical dislike of Stanhope, I did rather appreciate the ease that Alexandra and Gavin clearly felt with each other, and their obviously deepening feelings for one another.

In the end, however, while I enjoyed it, I didn't feel that it was anything exceptional. I admit, part of my dissatisfaction likely stems from the fact that I recently read a much-anticipated 5-Star book (that would be Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh, btw) and so frankly, nothing quite compares to the Book High I got while reading that one. Another problem could probably be the fact that I read three books in quick succession that had a similar plot -- that of childhood friends turned to lovers -- and none of the three books actually seemed to really stand out from the other.

Even so, however, the romance fell a little flat for me. I expected there to be a little more resistance between the two, but instead declarations were fast coming. Add to that a very predictable murder mystery, and I wasn't very impressed.

Recommended for fans of childhood friends who fall in love, and of intrepid 17 year olds who buck societal conventions to do what they feel is right, both sprinkled with murder, betrayal, and of course, love.

3/5 Stars

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Season.