Melannie :)'s Reviews > Sweethearts

Jun 04, 11

bookshelves: read-2011
Recommended to Melannie :) by: Kayleigh
Read from June 03 to 04, 2011

I don't know what I expected when I first read this' book description. But it's safe to say that it wasn't what I got.
This book is raw, it is tragic and nostalgic but it's full of hope too. And love.

I've never read a book about the kind of love this two teenagers have. Jennifer and Cameron, they were best friends
back in elementary school. Actually they were each other's only friend. Due to the fact that they were practicaly
the only non-mormon kids in their school, and also Jennifer was overweight and both of them were poor.

Back in the day they have no one besides eachother. Jennifers mom worked in the mornings and went to school at night.
Cameron's father was abusive. The only highlight in both these kids lives was the time they spend together.

After a horrible incident involving Cam's violent father and Jennifer's ninth birthday, Cameron left town without saying goodbye. Jennifer thought he was dead, but he wasn't. He's now back and with him the memories are coming back.
The ones she thought she had forgotten. Her insecurities about being a chubby kid, the terror she felt that ninth birthday,
and the longing for her long lost friend hit her hard. She's confused and hurt. But she's also happy.

Cameron's life has been rough. Very. You can't imagine how sad his life has been. Everytime I read the parts about him
my heart would break. Literally. There's such a strong aura of sadness around him that I just wanted to reach inside the book
and pull him into a hug and tell him it was going to be okay.

I was glad he had Jennifer, even though she didn't know what to do or say, she was there for him even if not physically there,
she was always thinking about him, always loyal and supportive even if she herself was having problems, like her compulsive eating disorder.

As I read the last few pages, I got sadder and sadder. I have to warn you, the ending is not sugar coated and wrapped with a bow.
It's not what I expected and it's definitely not what I wanted. My heart broke and I'm still sad. But the good think is that it's left open,
so I still have hope Cameron and Jennifer will one day return to where they belong. With each other. Filling that space in both their hearts that
no other person can ocupy.

Although If I could I would change the ending in a blink of an eye. I really think both Cameron and Jennifer deserve the happiness
that would come when they finally get together. The romance is there but at the same time it isn't and I think that's the missing piece this
book needs.

So yeah, it was a beautifully sad book.
About a friendship that I am sure I won't forget.
About returning (if only for while) to that person that's not your soulmate, but a part of your soul.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweethearts.

06/04/2011 page 204