Jennifer (aka EM)'s Reviews > Catch-22

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Oct 08, 13

bookshelves: war-is-hell, 2013-gr-challenge
Read in October, 2013

A high school re-read. An absolutely amazing book - I had remembered it as shorter, less complex, funnier. I had forgotten all about the style - those many, many, many adjectives! I remembered the absurdity - but had forgotten the surrealism and the grotesque. I had forgotten that it was written in 1961 - on the vanguard of a certain kind of 60s art and thought. I thought it was about Vietnam, but its setting was WW II. I had forgotten its sexism - but also forgotten its essential humanism.

In short, I had remembered how culturally important it was; but had forgotten how literarily excellent it is.

Definitely recommend you re-read this if you've maybe forgotten too. It is a truly timeless novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch-22.

09/27/2013 marked as: to-re-read
09/27/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/27/2013 "I feel quite confident that this is it; this is the one. This is the book for me right now. When all seems lost, take delight in the absurd."
09/29/2013 "this is v. funny."
10/05/2013 page 173
31.0% "slow going. the funny is drying up and the choppiness is setting in. Also - I don't remember it being this sexist." 1 comment
10/08/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jason Wow this one really was a perfect fit for you at the time. Nice!

message 2: by Dolors (new) - added it

Dolors I have only read positive reviews about this novel so, although the subject doesn't appeal much to me, I might have to try tackling it in the end!

message 3: by Jennifer (aka EM) (last edited Oct 08, 2013 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer (aka EM) well, it might not be your cup of tea, Dolors! Do you generally like war (or rather, anti-war) novels?

For those whose cuppa it is, there is definitely strong respect for this novel.

This was a really nice surprise for me. Not only did it bear up on a much later second reading, but it turned out to be an even better novel than I remembered. I want to read some of Heller's other stuff now, too.

message 4: by Dolors (new) - added it

Dolors Jennifer (aka EM) wrote: "well, it might not be your cup of tea, Dolors! Do you generally like war (or rather, anti-war) novels?

For those whose cuppa it is, there is definitely strong respect for this novel.

This was a..."

Don't actually know Jennifer. I read Sebastian Faulk's Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War and it was a rewarding reading in spite of the foulness of war. I guess I'll need to read it to know whether the novel is up right my alley.