Justyn Rampa's Reviews > Blackest Night

Blackest Night by Geoff Johns

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels, m-u-l-e
Read from June 04 to 05, 2011

This volume essentially covers the entire event of "Blackest Night". If I'm understanding it correctly, the rest of the volumes of which there are six essentially fill in some blanks and enrich the story with greater details. I'm sure that they would make this awesome story even greater, but I found that the Blackest Night volume on its own (which is huge) does very well on its own. I know that I may be in the minority here based on other reviews I've read, and maybe my mind will change once I've started reading the others but for now I had a great time.

The arc had moments of brilliance as well as moments that felt a bit "Final Crisis" to me. That is too say, moments that threatened to buckle under the weight of the ridiculous (only in a comic) plot line.

I have never been a huge Green Lantern fan, but I did enjoy this immensely. There were definitely moments that did not resonate as strongly with me because I didn't have the background with some of the characters. Having read "Identity Crisis" helped quite a bit as well as being current with Grant Morrison's run on "Batman". That being said, I never felt that I was at so much of a loss that the story was lost on me.

Looking forward to "Brightest Day".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackest Night.

06/05/2011 "There is no pagination in the volume so I'm not going to put page numbers. However, I am enjoying this so far. There is a lot of backstory involved in terms of the plot, but it has not proven to be a huge detriment at this point. The main protagonist has just been introduced and I had no idea who he was. One Wiki search later, and I get it. Clever:-)"
06/05/2011 "Okay. This just got...AMAZING!"