Justyn Rampa's Reviews > The Problem Child

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: childrens, fairy-tale, fantasy
Read from June 04 to 06, 2011

I adore this series.

I deeply, deeply love this series!

In fact, reading this series makes me feel like I did when I was reading all the Harry Potter books. Not that Sisters Grimm is a direct correlation to Harry Potter, but in some ways yes, they are very similar. Our main protagonist is struggling to come to terms with losing their parents, to fulfill a destiny of which they previously had no idea, and their world is full of fantastic and terrifying characters.

The difference of course is that Sisters Grimm directly plays on established characters and stories and uses them in a brand new creative way while Harry Potter indirectly plays on other works to create an original world. However, both of them grapple at times with very mature themes that elevate the work to being more than a simple children's story.

Reading this book in particular, I reacted out loud to the words on the page. I laughed, I gasped, I shouted, I cried (a little bit).

Michael Buckley is a clever man who not only manages to re-invent characters that have populated the childhood of people all over the world for generations, but also he tells an incredibly compelling story about a family struggling to be whole again and all complications that can arise in our relationships as we struggle to be the best version of ourselves.

I suppose he is writing the stories of people who simply looking for their happily ever after, which is something to which we can all relate.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Problem Child.

06/05/2011 page 128
44.0% "I'm absolutely loving this so far, but for the first time I got a vague sense of Harry Potter from this series. We'll see if that continues:-)"