Vanessa's Reviews > I Kill Giants

I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, favorites

This book is why God or Santa Claus or Alan Moore or whoever invented graphic novels and it's the perfect example of why they are a valid and worthy literary form. The art and text together make the story. It's a truly beautiful collaboration between Joe Kelly and JM Ken Niimura.

This is the story of Long Island fifth grader Barbara Thorson. She is iconoclastic and nearly friendless-until she meets a girl named Sophia and the school guidance counselor. She is a Dungeon Master extraordinaire. She has great millinery taste. She lives with her brother and older sister. Her dad has flown the coop. Her mother...well, that's the mystery. Something is happening with her mother. And by the way, Barbara claims to kill giants with her magical hammer Coveleski (this quirky, charming bit is a baseball reference that thankfully for me was explained) that she carries in her clutch. She sees fairies and dwarves and harbingers of doom. And she'd no doubt kick my ass for calling her Coveleski pouch a clutch. And I was pretty sure I was in love with her by the first time she gets called to the principal's office.

I defy you not to laugh, then cry then laugh and cry. Don't read the last chapter in a public place unless you don't mind people staring at you while you do all of the above. I flat out loved this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Kill Giants.