Jennifer Salazar's Reviews > Crow Planet: Essential Wisdom from the Urban Wilderness

Crow Planet by Lyanda Lynn Haupt

Jul 04, 11

Read from June 11 to July 04, 2011

I particularly enjoyed all the information about crow physiology and behavior. I definitely look at these very common birds differently. I think the discussion of the earth's ecological demise is approached through a more hopeful spirit than many books and she explains why.

My favorite part, besides about the crows themselves, was the chapter that described saint Benedict's idea of lectio (patient study, learning and reading). And Rachel Carson's idea that she wished that all children would not lose their sense of wonder as adults. And teaching naturalist students to really focus, including drawing, specimens they were studying to really get to know what they were looking at.

Thought the author's attempt to incorporate some of her own life story drama wasn't too successful, but there was not too much of it anyway. I think a better memoir cum bird story is in Lift.

I am even more intrigued by birds. I actually located a mourning dove nest in our backyard tree just a couple of days ago. I verified it by climbing a 4' ladder out in the lawn 10' out from the nest. The lone dove just stared at me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crow Planet.

06/12/2011 page 12