Sarah Snyder's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Jun 16, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, favorites
Read from June 04 to 14, 2011

A captivating and intriguing story that is absolutely filled to the brim with wit and charm. Riggs does an amazing job crafting a story that somehow seems to defy genre standards. Honestly, I’ve never experienced a book like this before. And that’s exactly what it is – a complete experience. It’s quirky, witty, charming, creepy, mysterious and beyond entertaining. It almost reminded me of a Tim Burton story, with a little bit of Coraline mixed in. In any case, Miss Peregrine’s is sure to appeal to a broad range of readers.

The storyline was incredible. Everything was well-planned out and flowed together beautifully. The vintage photography added a quirky touch to things and played along perfectly with Riggs’ writing. Speaking of, let’s have a little chat about this amazing writing. Riggs creates such a fantastic atmosphere and tone with this book, it’s a little off-kilter and incredibly dynamic. Everything about Miss Peregrine’s is well executed - this is one of those books that you get lost in. all of the sudden, you will come back to reality and realize that you’ve been reading for hours.

The characters are yet, another highpoint. In a word, these peculiar children are unforgettable. Each one is unique and delightful in their own way. They all known as peculiars – children with special, shall we say talents. They range from the gift of flight to invisibility; there is a little girl with a green thumb and a boy who can bring things to life. They are certainly captivating and undeniably easy to love.

The main protagonist, Jacob is just as much fun as the rest of the gang. He goes on this incredible journey (literally and emotionally) in which he investigates his grandfathers fantastic childhood stories. It is a joy to follow him as he begins to grow up and sort of come into himself. He starts off as almost a shadow, he’s just sort of going through the motions of life. When he comes to his grandfathers childhood home, he truly lights up and begins to live. Plus, his internal dialogue is incredibly hilarious. Honestly, I had a smile plastered on my face every time I picked this book up.

Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children is sure to dazzle readers of all ages, no matter their favorite genres. It is one of those rare books that possesses so much pizzazz. It’s both fanciful and eccentric and creepy in a quirky sort of way. I mean, this book absolutely sparkles. There is something here for everyone – time travel, monsters, curious characters and beautiful writing! Miss Peregrine’s is sure to delight readers everywhere!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

06/09/2011 page 53