Niklas Pivic's Reviews > Infinite Jest

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Jun 04, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, art, bullshit, civilisation, culture, dirty, drugs, encyclopedia, epic, experimental, great, humanity, insanity, language, life, linguistics, love, lovely, novel, politics, quotes, religion, society, snob, sociology, stream-of-consciousness, thoughts, usa, western, nationalism
Read from June 24 to October 10, 2012 — I own a copy

Well.

Dave Eggers once wrote that he spent an entire month reading this when it was released. And added that it's impossible to mutter an "eh" when finished with it, saying the book will change your life for the better.

I think he's right about it changing things.

The first 15 pages stormed me. Then, I felt David Foster Wallace was merely trying to impress and masturbate onto pages in some self-loving way that Jonathan Franzen can be prone to coming close to; after appx. 150-200 pages, however, that went away.

This book is filled with subjects and words and places but it's coherent, funny, inspiring and disgusting, bewildering, simple and complex. At times it felt like a drag, but mostly it's really, really good.

Every sentence feels thoughtful and sincere, and at the same time, I got the feeling (which is still in-place) that's simple; all you need is genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinite Jest.

Quotes Niklas Liked

David Foster Wallace
“Everybody is identical in their secret unspoken belief that way deep down they are different from everyone else.”
David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest

06/29/2012 page 15
1.0% "This is masterfully written, 15 pages in."
09/27/2012 page 500
46.0% "Solecistic in a new life; this is a new life. Magnificent and borderline slack-jawed arrogance by genial way."
10/09/2012 page 952
88.0% "LIFE IS LIKE TENNIS THOSE WHO SERVE BEST USUALLY WIN"