Brandy Painter's Reviews > Caddy Ever After

Caddy Ever After by Hilary McKay

Jun 04, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, middle-grade
Read on June 04, 2011

Rose somewhere along the way completely took over apparently. Really all of these last four books are all about Rose, even though Indigo and Caddy get their names mentioned in two of the titles. Caddy is actually the Casson represented the least in this volume. I did like the format though. It made for a somewhat disjointed narrative, but the switch to first person and having each kid narrate a different section really made their personalities stand out. I found each part to distinct and individual, sounding genuine to the characters I've come to know. Caddy's part is as ditsy and scatterbrained as she is. Rose's parts (she gets two) sound much younger than the others and her observations are delightful. I love her childhood assurance that she is so wise while at the same time demonstrating she has so much to learn. Saffy continues to be remote, even in first person, but is smart and wonderful. I loved watching her weather a difficult time with Sarah. Which brings me to Indigo, who, this book cemented it, is my absolute favorite. He is awesome. One of those silent lazy types you need to watch out for because when they are only silent and lazy until they want something. And his date for the Valentine's Disco? Did not imagine that would happen, but I liked it and would have liked to see more come of it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caddy Ever After.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hirondelle Nooooo, I got to protest, hoping you do not mind! Caddy is not ditsy and scatterbrained. I think the author is pretty unfair to Caddy on later books - I totally agree Rose steals all the later books, way too much (Rose even manages to steal the sequel to a Little Princess, where she is not even a character, but nevermind that).

It has been a while since I read this, but I remember feeling really disappointed in that I think McKay shortchanged Caddy. And I like Caddy (ok, you knew that by first line of this comment). Oh well, consider me Team Caddy.

Brandy Painter Team Indigo! :-) I stand by the scatterbrained, but you are right about ditsy. It implies a certain level of stupidity Caddy doesn't have. Maybe unfocused, indecisive, and easily led are better descriptions. I confess that I am such a polar opposite to Caddy I can't relate to her character at all.

Rose managed to take over a book she's not even a character in? I'm actually not that surprised. I was hoping maybe the new book would be Caddy's turn since it goes back in time to when Rose is a baby but maybe not. It doesn't come out in the US until March of 2012.