Rebecca's Reviews > Last Chance Saloon

Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes

Jun 03, 11

bookshelves: chicklit
Read in August, 2006

A long, drawn out story about not much. Dated, which I never like very much. What is the point of putting down exact dates? I can trace back to where I was in 1986 and it's not pretty. And I hate when the gay-boy best friend has some sort of disease, even if it's not the typical AIDS. I always enjoy the comic relief gay-boy character, but all the British authors stereo-type them with an illness and I find that condescending and annoying. Also filled with loads of characters that where pointless.

Three best friends move from the countryside of Ireland to the big city of London 10 years prior and they are all freaking out as they now turn post-30. Fintan, the gay-boy is the only one in a long standing relationship and he finds out he has cancer. Katherine is the uptight one and she falls for a co-worker. Tara is in a very bad relationship where her boyfriend always puts her down, but she can't leave cause she is afraid she is too old to find someone new, but does eventually. Fintan "dying" wish is for Katherine to stop being uptight and for Tara to leave Thomas. They both do. Their story is inter spliced with some other character and the book spend like 250 pages not telling you why he is even talked about until the very end and as it turns out this ass-hole boy character is the one that broke Katherine's heart right before they all packed it up and moved to London.

I like characters and stories that are inter spliced with background information on them and maybe a anecdote from their past, but books like this always go on forever also. You take some, you loose some.

Grade: C

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Chance Saloon.