karen's Reviews > Creepy-Ass Dolls

Creepy-Ass Dolls by Stacey Leigh Brooks

Jun 04, 11

bookshelves: creepy-dolls, welcome-author
Read in June, 2011

oh my god - what better book to go on my "creepy dolls" shelf???

this is my new very favorite book. i am a sucker for this kind of thing; collections of odd and funny things - books i can flip through when i am too bored to concentrate on a "real" book, and books like these are why the e-readers cannot be allowed to have their way - this does not translate to e-ink. i love my little novelty books, and i will continue to support it when websites turn into books. bring me more lolcats, i dare you.

this one, though, is more terror than humor.

dolls are terrifying. at my dad's house, there is a doll somewhat similar to this:

oh my god - i hate that doll. my dad knows this, and tries to terrify me with it whenever i make my way home. you begin to understand why i don't get up there much.who would make a doll like this?? is it being punished?? who would dare punish a doll??

yeah, good luck with that.

who thinks these dolls are a good idea? is it unclear that these dolls will kill you in your sleep? if these were people, with these dead eyes, you would give them a wide berth, not invite them into your home and the beds of your children.

shudder

this one is the clear winner:

how could you even play with that??

this book is giving me the most delicious nightmares.
nom nom nom

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creepy-Ass Dolls.

message 1: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Ahhhhhhh! *runs away screaming*

karen I KNOW!!

message 3: by Wendy Darling (last edited Jun 03, 2011 08:03PM) (new)

Wendy Darling Remember that old Twilight Zone episode? "My name is Talky Tina and I'm going to kill you." Still makes me shudder.

And for the love of Pete, what is that one doing over by the bed? Gah.

Jasmine are you rating picture books to catch up with greg?

karen hahaha no, not really. i could catch up to him super fast if i really wanted to. this one was just irresistible.

karen also - the x-files doll:

Jasmine dolls!

message 8: by Nissie (new)

Nissie My mom and dad have a doll at their house similar to the one your dad has. Only it's a boy.

Jasmine my grandma has one, I always assumed it was playing hide and seek

message 10: by Nissie (new)

Nissie That's what I was told.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda Some dolls and clowns are creepy as hell! Kind of like evil children a là The Shining. But the atmosphere has to be spooky, too. Can't even look at them, what if they actually look back!

message 12: by JOHN (new)

JOHN it's horror............
oh my God......

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm refraining from posting Dare Wright's doll photography.

message 14: by Noran (new) - added it

Noran Miss Pumkin google lonely lisa--she was my doll growing up.

message 15: by Hester (new)

Hester Here are some Little Apple dolls to freak you out http://www.littleappledolls.com/

karen oh, man - this book could have been even longer - i am beginning to think every doll is creepy.

why would you want to play with a little human replica?

Jasmine my doll was named little feather, my mom bought her for me at an indian fair homemade

message 18: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Hahhahaa! I just remembered, I had a doll bigger than me when I was little (it was a sad day when I finally outgrew it). I still have it in the parents' home, some closet. I'll have to dig it out and show it to you the next time you're in Portland.

karen wait - this is lonely lisa. you had a doll of this??

message 20: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! No! I managed to avoid being beheaded. Surprisingly, I also managed to avoid beheading her. I'll take a picture if I remember....

message 21: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori My aunt has a whole room full of dolls-it's called the guest room. This book is her next hostess gift from me.

karen i call it a torture chamber. she probably does that deter people from overstaying their welcome.

message 23: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Jun 12, 2011 09:15AM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I vow to never affectionately call you or anyone else "doll" or "doll face" ever again, no matter how charming I imagine the ironic use of an antiquated sexist term to be. Nothing but "toots", "gams", and "sugar tits" from here on out.

karen that's what is ironic, i call people "doll" all the time, and i never associate the term of affection with the reality of pure evil.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio karen wrote: "that's what is ironic, i call people "doll" all the time, and i never associate the term of affection with the reality of pure evil."

The curtain's been lifted (TWSS?) and we can't unsee what we've now seen. Noooooooo! There has to be a way to forget, dontcha think, doll?

Must. Scrub. Mind. Clean. Oh, here we go.

karen forget me nows?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Forget Me Now 'n' Laters

karen oh my god - why did they not do that when the show was on the way eclipse gum promoted that vampire movie. you know the one i am talking about...

message 29: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey Brooks Wow...I wish I had you guys in the room when I wrote the book!! I love all of these creepy-ass doll experiences!

karen hahaahah hello!! we are definitely your intended audience! thank you for scaring us so!

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Let's also not forget the clown doll that taunts MichaelDouglas in the totally underrated David Fincher film The Game:

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Oh my geez that is terrifying! I am going to be totally creeped out by the "punished" doll that is upstairs in the sewing room right next to my bathroom now. Especially since I stick pins in her like a pin cushion because I don't want to step on them. Maybe I should stop doing that. I just KNOW that she's going to jab me with them & she's probably covered in spiders just waiting to crawl all over me. lol
Have you ever heard "Creepy Doll" by Jonathan Coulton? If not, you should. hahaha

message 33: by MizziQ (new)

MizziQ Oh I love that song! Thank you! Haha! I love this type of stuff. :)

message 34: by Jen (last edited Dec 12, 2011 06:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen My sister had one of these- called "real baby"
I hated hated that thing. Her hair fell out, I recall, and all that was left were the little stitches coming out of the scalp. My sister treasured it more the uglier it got.

karen my dad feels the same way about me...

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I take it, Karen, that you are not a big fan of those Chucky movies?

karen no way, dude.

message 38: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell You have inspired me to make a creepy dolls shelf. <3

karen oh, awesome! tell me when it's up so i can see what you have on yours!

karen sweet! off i go!

karen oh! and you reminded me of a couple!

message 43: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Hooray! That's the best, isn't it?

karen yes! thank you!

message 45: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Vintage YA horror novels are a total hoot.

I'm actually just about to start a topic in one of my groups about the varying devices used. :P

karen awesome.

dolls... shudder.

message 47: by Nenia (new) - added it

Nenia Campbell Omg yes. Those ones about mirrors and twins were pretty creepy too. I remember being convinced that one day I was going to see my reflection leer or wink at me, or that I had an evil twin somewhere who was secretly plotting my doom.

message 48: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review Karen! Dolls can be so creepy sometimes! Where are you finding these books? I want to read these books!

karen well, all twins are evil, is the truth.

message 50: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell karen wrote: "well, all twins are evil, is the truth.

i don't remember where i came across this one, honestly. i think it was somewhere on the internet..."

Oh yeah, most of the books I've read came across the internet for me. Good ole internet! :D

« previous 1