George Bradford's Reviews > Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Mar 08, 08

bookshelves: america

Another title for this entertaining book could have been "Our disposable society: How our utter disrespect for our selves, each other and our environment created the world we live in today."

The automobile's destructive force on American life was been well documented in other works. But Schlosser extends that work specifically as it relates to the food industry. Not just fast food. But the entire food industry. And it's scary stuff.

Bottom line: we're killing our selves. Yes, fast food is bad for you. But its not just the crap they serve at the chains. The influence of fast food is so pervasive that it effects all aspects of our nation's food supply. And it does so adversely.

Our nation's food supply is now a full blown public health crises. Food poisoning is epidemic. Food supply recalls from corporate farms, meat plants and canneries are a weekly occurrence. Each episode worse than the previous.

Schlosser doesn't offer solutions. He sounds the alarm.

17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fast Food Nation.

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Sounds like good stuff. A lot of people often believe that the main reason that people turn to vegetarianism is that somehow killing and eating animals is wrong. Maybe this book offers some of the other reasons that vegetarians have for giving up meat (yes, including fish).

message 2: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate I second your title!!!