Judith (Judith'sChoiceReads)'s Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

May 31, 2014

bookshelves: broads-of-the-world-united, books-i-want-to-own, dystopian, unpredictable, really-crazy-villains, must-haves, heroines-with-spunk, good-reads, series-i-love
Read from October 31 to November 06, 2011

Right so there are two products I would like to advertise from my company, Awesome Shiz. The first is:

Stretch Marks-be-Gone!

Recently lost weight, or are in the process of dropping a couple pounds? Why not try...Stretch Marks-be-Gone! the quick effective and inexpensive way to smooth and attain luscious skin! Now for only $400 a tube, order while supplies last! For that shrinking/expanding dictator in your life:

Stretch marks Pictures, Images and Photos

Also: for that tall dark and brooding man you happen to know... Do his hands often feel cold and dry and do those clammy little Ladyfingers of his turn you and the mood off (because they should and if they don't you should probably see someone for that)!?

description

Then Instant-Chapped-Hands-be-Gone-Serum is what you need!

description

To purchase any of the delightful above, contact: 1-8000-I WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY-3124-876 And expect shipping between 365 days and never. We value your business.

Photobucket

Well now that's out of the way and I have relatively explored the inner Saleswoman in me...Moving On.

Divergent: 3.5 stars

Characters: 3/5

Plot: 4/5

Setting: 2.5/5

Writing: 4/5

H.M. (honourable mention:( Both Beatrice's mom and dad. (view spoiler)

P.A. (problem areas:( The general un-likeability of the characters at times. There was just too much bad about them and not enough good, kind of depressing, actually.

What I Liked: I liked a lot about this book. It is my first ever dystopian novel and I am very pleased that it was, I mean it was a good read. There was action and danger and intrigue which I greatly enjoyed, also Roth's story-telling abilities are kind of amazing. She weaved this world where people are literally divided into factions based on personal belief and are made to follow the motto, Faction before blood, pretty intense when you think about it.

I applaud the creativity necessary to come up with such a concept and all my problems with certain aspects of this universe aside, I think Roth is a good author. I will read the next book, Insurgent? Because I need to see how these problems are resolved; needless to say, that last chapter left behind a lot of cliff-hangers. (view spoiler)

When it came down to it, Beatrice was tough when she needed to be and I liked that she kind of evolved. Like Superman.

Or SuperKitty. I like him better.

What I Struggled With: Generally just Beatrice's Harshness, the girl was a bitch the majority of the time and until she metWhat's his face Tobias she was cruel. I get necessity in harsh times and the need to toughen yourself, but also understand meanness, she went about things like some army recruit ready for war. Would being factionless really be that bad? Of course it would, because Tris is just to good for that! I should never have felt that way about the protagonist but I did; not to say I never sympathized with her, I stopped liking Al because of just how much I felt bad in her defence so there, I care.

Grinch Heart Grow Pictures, Images and Photos

She was just so robotic and kind of hard to relate with. Oh and her friends kind of sucked. And between me and Christina there were major issues; the way she was depicted as petty and envious rubbed me the wrong way, I hated it. Did she always have to be jealous of Tris? From what I hear, the robotic little pipsqueak doesn't have much going for her other than Tobias and that relationship in itself is a little far-fetched. I'm still trying to buy it.

Side-note: The guy did not have nice hands, they were dry and icky from what I hear and he should really consider giving me a call.

Ahem, remember what I said about there being more bad than good? Da, da, dada! Perfect examples: Peter, Molly, Drew, Al, Max, Eric, The high-officials from both Erudite and Dauntless, Marcus and whaleJeaniene. These people were all baddies, I mean all of them. Can I take it to mean that Roth has some serious villain-creating-tendencies or just that she wanted as many as possible? I'm going with the latter.

All through the book I kept gritting my teeth because of how much I hated Peter, (view spoiler), All along I kept wishing he would just die. Partly because Tris wished that a lot of people did that, she was like a trigger-happy toddler sometimes! Can you say, 'Kill 'em all'?

Trigger Happy Pictures, Images and Photos

It got old fast, and the overall violence was a little much for me. The way the world sounds is as though a good 3/4 has been wiped out. What could they possibly need to train for/protect? Why would no one consider that?

Overall: I would buy this book. Why? Because it is so unique and different, plus interesting enough to keep a reader flipping close to 500 pages ahead and ladies and gentlemen that takes skill. From now until the release of Insurgent I will send up multiple prayers that the second book is somehow more personal and human because I found this to be a little robotic. I want to experience Beatrice and Tobias's love beyond rules and constraints because the way they kept it the majority of the time hush-hush was not romantic nor ideal. (view spoiler)

Lastly:

And since we are in the business of offering some quick-fix solutions, why not try this for Peter, Roth?:

Give me a Call.
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

10/31 page 105
21.0% "I'm glad Tris/Beatrice is finally giving herself a good reassessment! The girl is so selfish..."
11/01 page 125
26.0% "I think that Al is so cute, and I love his sensitivity! If he doesn't end up with Tris, it is because she does not nearly deserve him!"
11/03 page 169
35.0% "Tris is so balsy..."
11/04 page 228
47.0% "I. Freaking. Hate. Peter."
11/05 page 289
59.0% "Al is a prick, I do not care what comes after this, I want to throw him myself into that chasm!"
11/05 page 289
59.0% "Are you kidding me? The guy I like professes that he likes me and all I have to say is, "But you're older than I am...Tobias."?!! I'd be like, "
11/05 page 337
69.0% "So she isn't pretty, which is fine, but why does the hottest stud around find her irresistible? Hmm..."
11/05 page 347
71.0% "So Tobias treats her like dirt around other people AND he has a chapped-metal hand problem? Get him a doctor, STAT!"
11/05 page 347
71.0% "Why can't we be like, 'yes we like each other. We respect each other, even in public?' No it has to be, 'Shut up, Tris!' when people are looking and then...'I love you.' in private. Screw that!"
11/06 page 489
100.0% "Right, so is it just me thinking how gross it would be to kiss Tris after she threw up in that elevator? I mean the girl didn't even rinse and she and Four were going at it like dogs in heat! I'm done, so review to come soon!!"
05/27 marked as: read