Jennifer Nelson's Reviews > Rex: A Mother, Her Autistic Child, and the Music That Transformed Their Lives

Rex by Cathleen Lewis

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: 2011-books, music
Read from September 16 to 28, 2011

In any person, Rex's talent is absolutely amazing; in a blind autistic child it is completely mind-boggling. I used to think that blindness alone would probably exclude someone from playing the piano but was I ever wrong.

Rex started playing the piano at around age 2 and he's never stopped. Already in his short life he has wowed the world. Everyone keeps asking, how does he do it, how does it work? His mother has come to the conclusion that it is from God and I would have to agree with her.

Rex's mother Cathleen Lewis tells the story of Rex in an extremely honest and emotional way. At times I was captured by the story and at other times I was quite irritated with it. When Lewis focuses on Rex and on God's work in her life, this book is fantastic; but when she overly injects her ego into it or gets on her soap-box it starts to feel like a mother-bear rant.

Overall, it was a fascinating read and I hope to hear more about Rex in the future.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rex.