Charis's Reviews > The Heart and the Fist: The Education of a Humanitarian, the Making of a Navy SEAL

The Heart and the Fist by Eric Greitens

Jun 07, 11

Read in June, 2011

An academic, humanitarian and Navy SEAL - three things you don't usually find together. I was drawn to Eric Greitens' book because of his endless sense of adventure and curiosity for new things. His traveling, time at Oxford and Navy service are three thing I relate to. He certainly saw and accomplished quite a bit before the age of 30.

Unlike most military memoirs, Greitens brings an entirely new perspective to his story. He sees the humanity behind the enemy, and more often, he sees the innocent lose the most in war. His ideas may be greatly debated but if there is one thing you can't fault him for, he was out there doing it with his own two hands. Most people cannot say that.

Mr. Greitens is unapologetically idealistic. It can get wearing after a while. Of course, when you write your own history you can make it as positive as you want. But it was almost unrealistic - does this guy have any faults?? I respect and admire his work, I enjoyed the read and have taken on more than a few lessons. For that, it certainly served its purpose.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart and the Fist.

06/04/2011 page 55