Sue Tint's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Oct 20, 11

bookshelves: favorites-of-2011, ya
Read from October 18 to 19, 2011 — I own a copy

Can I just say, I LOVED THIS BOOK! And, unfortunately, the cover AND the title don't do it justice. I have a feeling if there was a different cover, this book would have attracted more people. I waivered between 4.5 and 5 stars, because I don't give a lot books 5 stars, but this book was just so fantastic in so many ways, that I would certainly read it again (which is one of my criteria for whether or not a book gets 5 stars).

Anna is sent by her divorced parents, mostly her father, to spend her senior year at a boarding school in France. She doesn't speak French, she never asked to go and she doesn't want to be there. Luckily, on her first night, as she is crying alone in her room, she is befriended by her neighbor, Meredith, and Anna falls into a frendship with Mer and her friends. One friend in particular catches her eye, St. Clair as he is called (by his last name), but he is taken. A relationship develops between St. Clair and Anna which is the crux of the book. Anna and St. Clair develop this relationship slowly, there is no "insta-love" here,,, maybe insta-lust, but that's okay! There are many twists and turns in their friendship/relationship and you don't quite know what will happen between them, but there is so much emotion in their friendship, it's hard not to feel what Anna feels.

The writing is so witty. Anna is hilarious, and so are her exchanges with St. Clair. St. Clair is hot - every girl would want him (and does), but he is also disarming, which is geniunely attractive. This book is not one of your typical YA love stories. It is so real,, and not in the "oh good, this is boring" real. It made me think about my own relationships with friends and family alike. I am so glad that this book was recommended to me by any Goodreads friend (thanks Wendy Darling). I hope that others will read this book and have that ahhh.... feeling I had when I finished it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

10/18/2011
10/19/2011
45.0% "really liking this so far"