Ruth's Reviews > The Bargain

The Bargain by Mary Jo Putney

Jun 03, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance, library_mediamall, military-specops-govt-fire-cops, regency-victorian, wounded-injured-hero
Read from February 07 to 13, 2012

I really enjoyed this one. It's much more of a traditional Regency romance, with stronger characterizations and stronger secondary characters, with their own well-developed stories.

I think what I liked best about this (apart from the fact that it's a rerelease of a very good book) is that it puts a different spin on the marriage of convenience trope. It shows how such a marriage can be contracted for the very best of reasons. The hero wants to take care of his sister, and the heroine wants to keep her inheritance. I think they are both selfish in their own ways, but it's a selfishness which is human, understandable and not callous or mean.

Other things I liked? The hero's sister is a bitchy, devoted, desperate woman, who will do anything to help the human being closest to her - her brother. I love that she admits she can't apologize to anyone, for anything. And I loved that she found her purpose in life, with a larger-than-life character.

So, for me, this was far better than your average HR, except the ending, which was a bit of a let-down after the fabulous plot. Having said that though, it wasn't a dire ending, just not as good as the rest of the story.

4 stars. I'll definitely keep my eyes open for the related stories, which this re-release conveniently outlines in the author's notes at the end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bargain.