Britney's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Dec 17, 14

bookshelves: own
Read from June 03 to 07, 2011

Oh. My. God. This book is one of those rare pieces of literature that touches on so many important issues and leaves you feeling both emotionally raw yet hopeful. I couldn't rave enough about this book. I loved the writing, the characters, the formatting, the pacing, EVERYTHING.

Writing: I loved how the book was written in both Hannah's voice through the tapes as she told her story and through Clay's reactions and thoughts and wanderings around his town. I could easily see this all happening. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy reading this because I wasn't sure how it would work but Jay Asher did an amazing job at making me care about both Hannah and Clay, and even understanding both of them. I could relate to both of them and could see why each thought the way they did. The concept of how even the littlest of things can play a huge impact on another person is very realistic. And being told how you played a part in someone's last, drastic decision? That's heartbreaking, but also realistic.

There were times that I was so enthralled with Hannah's story that I didn't even care what Clay was doing but I liked how the book was written. It was perfect for the story.

Characters: The book may be about Clay finding and listening to the tapes that hold Hannah's story and reasons why she chose suicide, but for some strange reason I loved Hannah more than Clay. She was real and her voice was morbidly funny at times. And yet, I loved Clay. I felt his pain and wanted to help save Hannah with him, even though we both knew it was too late. And the other characters that play a part in Hannah's life? I could see people I knew or have come across in my own life in them. I wanted to tell Hannah that "it will get better."

A part of me, a part that tends to take fiction way too seriously at times, hopes that the other characters help find a punishment for one character. But I won't go into details because I don't want to give any spoilers.

Pacing: No complaints whatsoever. I loved how each chapter was titled by the tape number and what side it was. I loved that each side gave a reason yet they were all interconnected. And I loved trying to guess where Clay would come into the picture. I didn't want to put the book down, the pacing and writing and story were beautiful and perfect.

Overall, I loved this book. And I especially love it because it is one of those extremely powerful books that you want to share with others. It leaves you feeling both hopeless and hopeful, just like life.
46 likes · Likeflag

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually didn't care too much for this book.

Ashley Great review! You've nailed all the important elements to the story, and I agree with you, so so much! (vengeance and justice, please and thank you!) I kept hoping that somehow, Hannah would pop back up... Maybe she just moved or something, and we only thought she was dead. But no...

This book tore my heart out.

Richard Denney this was one of my fav books of 2010

Raissa I enjoyed reading this book! I absolutely agree with you and I love you review :)

Britney Raissa wrote: "I enjoyed reading this book! I absolutely agree with you and I love you review :)"

Thank you! :)

Emma Mikkelson I finished the book today and started it late last night. I was looking at the reviews and just in awe at the amount of people that disliked it. I couldn't believe it. I agree with your review so much because it was exactly how I felt. I couldn't put the book down. Some people say all the reasons were stupid but I can see where Hannah came from. And I'm so glad I found your review because it's how I felt (like I ready said) but I couldn't put it into words. Yours did the trick.