Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Mira Grant

Worry not, my dears, this review is spoiler-free.

There are three things in this world I truly believe in. That the truth will set us free; that lies are the prisons we build for ourselves; and that Shaun loves me. Everything else is just details.
- Georgia Mason

There's not much I can say about the Newsflesh trilogy that I haven't said a million times before, nothing spoiler-free at least, and I refuse to spoil even the smallest detail for any of you. As a result, this will be more of an emotional outburst than an actual review, so feel free to abandon ship if you’re not a fan of my all-too-frequent displays of sentimentality. I apologize in advance.

How do you bring down a massive government conspiracy? You don’t. You do what the crew of After the End Times does: you run for your life, save a few people, bury more than a few, tell the truth, and make sure to get it all on camera. Oh, and you pay attention when the villain starts explaining his actions because there might me more to it than he’s ready to admit. And when you stop to think about it and realize that it’s not worth it at all, you keep doing it because there’s nothing else you can do, and you hope for the best.

I didn’t dream of funerals this time. Instead, I dreamed of me and Shaun, walking hand in hand through the empty hall where the Republican National Convention was held, and nothing was trying to kill us. Nothing was trying to kill us at all.

As the story progressed and the science in it became more and more wild, I kept expecting to reach the point where I’d stop believing it, where it would be too much, but I never did. Therein lies the talent of Seanan McGuire – she is able to make the craziest things sound entirely convincing. It helps that her sense of pacing is nothing short of extraordinary, not to mention her ability to emotionally manipulate her readers. It’s not easy to keep people engaged and utterly fascinated through more than 500 pages, and yet Seanan McGuire accomplished it no less than three times.

I could (and should) say that the Newsflesh trilogy has ended with Blackout, but it hasn’t for me, not really. After 1800 pages, so much laughter, countless tears and a few frustrated screams, I know I’ll be back to reread it often. In fact, I’d already reread both Feed and Deadline more than once. Why would Blackout deserve any less? In any case, I’ve gained more from this experience than just a book I can label as my all-time favorite. I’ve bonded with people over it, and today I have the privilege of calling some of them my friends. We are a diverse group, but we started with this one thing we had in common, and in time, we developed some more. Therefore, it seems vastly unfair to call this just another trilogy. For me, it was much more than that. It was a chapter of my life and a truly life-changing experience.

Aside from the already released Countdown, Mira Grant will write two more novellas in the Newslesh universe, San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats, and How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea. Seanan McGuire will also launch another duology with Orbit: Parasitology and Symbiogenesis, as Mira Grant. The story will have nothing to do with the Masons, but I’m sure it will be amazing. I guess we still have something to look forward to after all.

We know that we were in the right
(The coming dawn, the ending night).
So here is when we stop the lies.
The time is come. We have to Rise.

-From Dandelion Mine, the blog of Magdalene Grace Garcia, August 7, 2041.

Also posted at The Nocturnal Library

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.

05/11/2012 page 492
88.0% "Oh, my God! I did NOT see that coming, and I've gotten pretty good at catching these things. Whoa." 1 comment

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Laura Maja! We have to wait until June! :O

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hah! I know! But I'll reread the first two books at least two more times.

Isamlq yay 5 stars!!! wasn't it awesome?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It was everything I'd hoped for. But I wish I could somehow erase my memory and start over.

Kayleigh {K-Books} Jealous! I cannot wait for this!

message 13: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina All these stars are making me want to read this now now NOW! :) Awesome review Maja, can't wait to get into Blackout too. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thanks, Tina! It's only 10 days now. :)

Laura Maja! Hey--Lady! It makes me so happy to see your 5 stars! I am holding off on the review for now though. :( Which is taking all of my self control--you know how much I love your words. But..must run away now before I cave! So happy you loved it! :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Hah, you're not the only one, but I really did make it spoiler-free. :)
you'll love this book, I'm sure of it.

Laura Oh, believe me, Maja—I trust you with reviews and spoilers with all my heart, but somehow with this one….I don’t know. It feels wrong to read anything before having it in my hands. To have Shaun in my arms again--*coughs*--the book I mean is going to make me so happy!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I know, don't worry. I felt the same way. I completely ignored all the reviews and updates until I got my own copy.

Kerri (Book Hoarder) Ohh, I'm so excited for this one!!!

Giselle I'm starting the 1st book tonight or tomorrow! Your's Bonnie's and Michelle's reviews got me really excited!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I was too, I barely even slept. I finished it in less than 24 hours, and it's 560 pages. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Giselle wrote: "I'm starting the 1st book tonight or tomorrow! Your's Bonnie's and Michelle's reviews got me really excited!"

Woohoo! Best news I've heard today. I hope you like it.

Ariana Oh, you too?!
I feel like there's a whole conspiracy against me at this point, LOL.

I am so glad that you got to read and love it. Can't wait for it to be released (even though the kindle edition seems to still be available only in june)

message 2: by Qazyman (new) - added it

Qazyman Thank you for an excellent review =]

message 1: by AH (new)

AH Great review, Maja. I must start reading this series.