Lora's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

4632071
Aug 13, 11

bookshelves: middle-grade-lit, lib-read
Recommended to Lora by: my enjoyment of the first
Recommended for: fans of the first
Read from June 03 to 14, 2011, read count: 1

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

Such a wise wizard.

You know how sometimes when you read the first in a series and it turns out so much better than you originally anticipated, it makes you a little apprehensive when starting the sequel? Well, I felt that way before starting this, but I can definitely say that Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is another fabulous installment in the rightfully beloved Harry Potter series!
And while I will admit to not loving it quite as much as its predecessor, I still enjoyed it a great deal.
I think the reason for my not liking it as much can be mostly credited to the introduction of a new character, Professor Lockhart. Lockhart is an annoyingly pretentious wizard who is completely full of himself, and the majority of his teachings were based on his own life and his supposed brushes with death that he escaped only because of his "heroism" and great knowledge of the magic arts. (view spoiler)
In a summary, I didn't find the story involving Lockhart quite as interesting as Harry's realization of his true abilities and the escapades of his first year at Hogwarts.

But HP II undoubtedly still has plenty of hilarious moments and magical wonders - not to mention the lovely cast of characters - to more than compensate for this particular installment's slightly lacking plot. Hence the five stars. :)

(view spoiler)

FAVORITE QUOTE: "I've heard you hate those Muggles you live with," said Ernie swiftly.
"It's not possible to live with the Dursleys and not hate them," said Harry. "I'd like to see you try it."

Next up is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

**********************************************************

My reviews of other titles in this series:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Milly I love, love HP!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Flannery Ah! I thought this was the weakest of all of them. If you gave this 5 stars, you'll have no idea what to do with yourself when you get to the rest of them:) I'm so excited for your first time through them!

message 3: by Nic (new)

Nic Great review Lora. You are making me feel less nervous about reading the first one since you are loving this series :)

Lora Flannery wrote: "Ah! I thought this was the weakest of all of them. If you gave this 5 stars, you'll have no idea what to do with yourself when you get to the rest of them:) I'm so excited for your first time throu..."

I expect to like all of the rest more than this one, but I still thought it was worth 5 stars :) (And I see you gave it 5^^)

No room for nervousness here, Nic. This series is awesome to the 10th power. ;)

~Tina~ You reading these books puts a strange warm fuzzy feeling straight to my heart;)

Great review hun!!

Lora Aww! Glad I could make your heart grow fuzz, Tina! Thanks :)

~Tina~ lol! ;p

Morgan F This book was my least favorite of the series, and it still got five stars. That only attributes to the epicness that is HP.

Sarah M Great Review Lora. I am glad you enjoyed this one.

Margaret I wish I could re-read this whole series again for the first time.

Milly Gosh, I saw the preview of the last HP movie today and I got goose bumps!!! I can't wait for July!!!

~Tina~ Everyone hates me when I watch an HP trailer. I sit there and watch it and say 'that didn't happen' 'that didn't happen' oh and 'that didn't happen' before they kindly tell me to shut-up >.

Sarah M Have you guys heard about this yet?

Looks interesting!

~Tina~ Oh please please please be more HP books!! I want the next generation!!!!

Erica (daydreamer) That would be so cool!

Milly ~Tina~ wrote: "Everyone hates me when I watch an HP trailer. I sit there and watch it and say 'that didn't happen' 'that didn't happen' oh and 'that didn't happen' before they kindly tell me to shut-up >.

Hahaha! My hubby doesn't mind at all since he's never read any of the books. He's like...'oh really?'

Milly Yippee! another 5 for Harry!

Okay so I saw another preview of HP Deathly Hallows P2 today at the movies and I had tears in my eyes! I realized that it's the last movie ever of HP! So sad!!!
I don't want it to ever end!

message 18: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora I watched the second movie last night and it was really good. :)

~Tina~ Lora, is this your first time watching the movies as well?

message 20: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora Yes. I was a complete HP (for lack of a better word) virgin before reading the first one. :)

~Tina~ Oh wow! How amazing that you get to experience the HP universe with both book and movie at the same time.
That is totally awesome!

message 22: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora Yes it is, my friend! And the movie adaptations are really well done IMO. I'm basically just reading one, then watching its movie companion. :)

~Tina~ I agree! I usual don't like movie adaptations, or well, have low expectations for them, but the HP ones are impressive. I wish I could experience them all over again for the first time. Such a fun world!

message 24: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora Ditto^^

Morgan F HP <3

Wathira Nganga Flannery wrote: "Ah! I thought this was the weakest of all of them. If you gave this 5 stars, you'll have no idea what to do with yourself when you get to the rest of them:) I'm so excited for your first time throu..."

Actually I thought Prisoner of Azkaban was the real slump in the series. The main antagonist (Voldemort) appears nowhere in the book. Besides the first couple chapters and the occasional Quidditch match and/or brush with dementors, there isn't much action to move the plot along. There was a lot of back story to build up what we know of Harry's parents and how they died, but the book didn't add much to the overall plot. One plus was the addition of Remus Lupin to the cast of characters. He's one of the coolest teachers Hogwarts has ever had, and he's a good friend to boot!

Flannery Ah, I loved Prisoner of Azkaban. I loved the Night (knight?) Bus and Harry's trial and how it felt like a transition to a bit of a darker series. It was also where we were introduced to the Marauder's Map, the Room of Requirement, and I just loved the whole backstory of Peter Pettigrew and Harry's parents.

You're right that Lupin is one of the best teachers they ever had and I loved him as a character. The funny part about the series is that each one of us probably has a weak link in the series but it doesn't mean we don't love them all.

message 28: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora Flannery wrote: "Ah, I loved Prisoner of Azkaban. I loved the Night (knight?) Bus and Harry's trial and how it felt like a transition to a bit of a darker series. It was also where we were introduced to the Maraude..."

Sounds like I should start Prisoner of Azkaban soon. I've been missing Harry lately, anyway.

Wathira Nganga Flannery wrote: "Ah, I loved Prisoner of Azkaban. I loved the Night (knight?) Bus and Harry's trial and how it felt like a transition to a bit of a darker series. It was also where we were introduced to the Maraude..."

You're right that there were some high points in the book, though Harry's hearing and the Room of Requirement are in Order of the Phoenix. I did like Hagrid teaching Care of Magical Creatures, and his hippogriffs.

Flannery You're clearly much more of a HP expert than me. (I'm not one at all!) I haven't read them since they came out...

message 31: by Aya (new) - added it

Aya Ashour oooooooooooooh My GOD
this my favourite qoute

message 32: by Sierra (new) - added it

Sierra how do you get to read the book.

message 33: by Lora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lora Sierra wrote: "how do you get to read the book."

Go to your library and rent a copy for free or buy a copy at either a bookstore or Walmart, Target, etc.

message 34: by Ahmed (new)

Ahmed Ismail Its a great book to read before u go to bed and to remember a few moments of your childhood so u can carry on our usual days

message 35: by Brenden (new)

Brenden Loved the movie and book

message 36: by Ultimate (new)

Ultimate YA I used that quote for my high school senior quote! I loved this review and I loved this book! If you're looking for more ideas on what to read be sure to check out ultimate ya! :) http://www.ultimateya.com

Ella Gisclair _like anyone will say the DIDN'T like this novel!_