Mikko Karvonen's Reviews > The Innocent Mage

The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller

M_50x66
Jun 03, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-scifi
Recommended for: No-one, really.
Read in June, 2011, read count: 1

In a word: uninspiring.

Innocent Mage has its merits. The relationship between the two main characters has some interesting moments, and there are couple other potentially decent characters. The language is good and flowing. It tries to do something bit different with the age-old 'Chosen One' theme.

But bah, it just never gets anywhere. And when it did, it left me mostly annoyed.

Miller spends habitually six pages saying things she could have said in two. One could argue that it makes her dialogues more lively, but there is a limit to when it just gets tiresome. And unlike some authors suffering from a similar problem, she didn't quite get enough characters into scenes to make them worth reading simply because of it. After a while I found myself just quickly eyeing through one, two, three pages at the time, searching for the next spot something worthwhile was said.

I also didn't like many of the plot devices or character reactions - they mostly made me groan when reading them. I could see what Miller was trying to do, but she didn't manage to sell it to me well enough, leaving me more annoyed than entertained.

So thanks, but no thanks. I have no interest to read this series any further than this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innocent Mage.